Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking live axle bearing

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Question i am in the process of replacing the brakes and shoes on the ute. However I have run into a snag i have a leaking axle. Question is should I leave the old shoes in place and fit new shoes on one side only? Or do i replace both sides and hope the drivers side doesn't become contaminated, while i wait to get it in and have the bearing replaced in a couple of weeks time?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think it would be best to wait.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think it would be best to wait.
should i fit the old shoes back on the other side that isn't leaking. Or won't it matter with worn on one side and new on the other since it's the hand brake?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As long as they are set up it properly it shouldn't make a difference.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I would not worry about it. I had a Mk2 Zephyr that continually leaked brake fluid and axle oil on to the shoes, despite what I did to stop it. That did not alter its braking ability in any way.
But, seriously, I would not put new linings onto a leaking axle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nah i won't fit the new shoes on the drivers side. I will book it in for the seal and bearing and have the mech fit the shoes on the drivers side while he is there. Bit fiddly anyway as i just found on the passenger side. Extra hand would have made it easier but i have it done. Just gravity bleeding the passenger side now.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Nah i won't fit the new shoes on the drivers side. I will book it in for the seal and bearing and have the mech fit the shoes on the drivers side while he is there. Bit fiddly anyway as i just found on the passenger side. Extra hand would have made it easier but i have it done. Just gravity bleeding the passenger side now.

Buy a one man bleeder kit, that operates off a compressor....I recently bought one from Bursons....Cost me $100....It took 10 minutes to bleed all the whole system, from a master cylinder change

Last edited: