Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking rear diff

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Has anyone else had a leaking rear diff. There's been quite a bit of discussion about this issue on the Buick forum.

Had my car in for a service the other day and was told the diff was leaking,..... again. At the previous service they noticed a leak. They fixed the breather which was apparently blocked causing the diff to pressurise when it got hot. Took it back a couple of thousand k's later as requested to check to see that the leak was fixed. So it seemed it was until again the other day where it's leaking again. The car has done just under 40,000 km.

What have other V6 AWD owners experienced in this regard. No leaks? Leaks that were an easy fix? New diff? Anything else?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I have not noticed any leaks under where mine parks, 72000km on it.
I will need to have a closer look i guess.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
No signs on the ground where I park mine either. Only a minor weep at this stage. I have heard of drips on the ground though.

SteveRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Has anyone else had a leaking rear diff. There's been quite a bit of discussion about this issue on the Buick forum.

Had my car in for a service the other day and was told the diff was leaking,..... again. At the previous service they noticed a leak. They fixed the breather which was apparently blocked causing the diff to pressurise when it got hot. Took it back a couple of thousand k's later as requested to check to see that the leak was fixed. So it seemed it was until again the other day where it's leaking again. The car has done just under 40,000 km.

What have other V6 AWD owners experienced in this regard. No leaks? Leaks that were an easy fix? New diff? Anything else?
My RSV wagon needed a new pinion Seal (or whatever it is called on the Twinster).
It took the dealer a while to get the parts, but it was only in for the day once the parts arrived.
Of note is that the oil had degraded a couple of bushes and these were also replaced (later on, after the parts were sourced).
No complaints regarding the warranty service I received, but I'll never understand how the dealer missed all the oil everywhere, when it was serviced literally the day before Tyrepower mentioned it
Edit: It failed at 36,000km.

Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Dealer I've been using has been good. It's been them both times that noticed the leak.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
I had minor oil "sweating" on my front LHS driveshaft - was told it was to do with the leaky rubber seal. Was fixed under warranty.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Just had Holden tell me my rear diff is leaking. It's a good thing the ZB doesn't have one as it has a rear drive unit which contains the clutch packs. ;)

Car only has 23,000km on the odometer.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
Just had Holden tell me my rear diff is leaking. It's a good thing the ZB doesn't have one as it has a rear drive unit which contains the clutch packs. ;)

Car only has 23,000km on the odometer.
There's still a pumpkin with diff. fluid. The clutch packs are a separate system with their own fluid.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
You probably use the same dealer I'm guessing by your location. Mine's coming due for it's next service. I'm wondering whether I'll be told it's leaking again. Might have a quick look under there beforehand if I can.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
You probably use the same dealer I'm guessing by your location. Mine's coming due for it's next service. I'm wondering whether I'll be told it's leaking again. Might have a quick look under there beforehand if I can.

Well they said they are going to replace the entire unit with a second hand one because sourcing parts is difficult at the moment. Not particularly pleased it's had to be done with so little mileage on the car. For other reasons I won't disclose here, subsequent services will be done at a different garage.