Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking rear diff

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Well they said they are going to replace the entire unit with a second hand one because sourcing parts is difficult at the moment. Not particularly pleased it's had to be done with so little mileage on the car. For other reasons I won't disclose here, subsequent services will be done at a different garage.
Mine probably showed signs of leaking at those km's.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with that outcome. I presume it's still under warranty. I'd expect new parts and wouldn't accept anything less. Can't it wait until they can get parts? How bad is it?

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Mine probably showed signs of leaking at those km's.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with that outcome. I presume it's still under warranty. I'd expect new parts and wouldn't accept anything less. Can't it wait until they can get parts? How bad is it?

I'll quote from the worksheet:

Remove and replace left hand axle seal. Replace diff pinion seal. Carry out diff rebreather rework

$700 just for that.

But it was only in overnight and I have it back.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Yes, car is a MY2018
I think mine is MY2018 too but first registered 2019 so there's still warranty left to run in my case. I also got given an extended mechanical warranty through the dealer.

Given this is a "known" issue I'd be pushing for some help from Holden.

I've been trying to keep the k's down on mine by using my old car quite a bit, but also mindful of giving it sufficient use to bring out any issues prior to the warranty expiring. Even so I've done double the K's you've done.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Carry out diff rebreather rework

i wonder if that is the actual problem, the breather might be faulty which causes pressure in the diff which will push oil past the seals.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
i wonder if that is the actual problem, the breather might be faulty which causes pressure in the diff which will push oil past the seals.

Working in a service field myself I do know that sometimes you aren't 100% certain you have isolated the cause so you replace all the suspect parts just in case. Just in my line of work we don't make the customer pay for it.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I don't think so. That's what they thought the first time mine had this issue and they fixed the breather. The next time it was serviced it was leaking again.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I don't think so. That's what they thought the first time mine had this issue and they fixed the breather. The next time it was serviced it was leaking again.

did they fix the seals the first time around?
because once damaged they dont repair themselves.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
did they fix the seals the first time around?
because once damaged they dont repair themselves.
I have no idea. It's all been covered by warranty. I suspect they didn't but don't know. I do know when I took it back a couple thousand K later for them to check and it wasn't leaking then but was leaking again at the next service.