Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking rear diff

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I have no idea. It's all been covered by warranty. I suspect they didn't but don't know. I do know when I took it back a couple thousand K later for them to check and it wasn't leaking then but was leaking again at the next service.

it would be nice if they disclosed what the problem was to the customer so in the future we knew what part was the issue.
i have 90,000km on mine and it shows no signs of leakage but i am thinking i will check the breather when i do the 90k service in a few days just incase.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I've read about these cars on the forums and I'm seeing an alarming amount of 9spd Transmission and Diff issues... Doesn't inspire much confidence in long term reliability...

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
Just had my ZB in for its 5 year 60,000km service. Last year I told them there was a leak from the diff and they claimed it was within GM specs. This time they said they need to replace the rear diff seal. They had the part but refused to perform this task as according to them "We always overbook everyday and you will have to return next week and get it done. What BS, they had more than 12 months notice.
GM customer care were of no help either.
Time to trade her in.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Just had my ZB in for its 5 year 60,000km service. Last year I told them there was a leak from the diff and they claimed it was within GM specs. This time they said they need to replace the rear diff seal. They had the part but refused to perform this task as according to them "We always overbook everyday and you will have to return next week and get it done. What BS, they had more than 12 months notice.
Time to trade her in.
Diffs should never be leaking, especially at 60,000km... Trade it in for sure and buy a VF lol

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Yes, car is a MY2018
It seems so unreasonable that these parts are breaking down at such low Kms. Surely this is a manufacturing fault and should be addressed by Holden, and at no cost to the customer.
Or am I just being delusional?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Time to trade her in.

So are you going to get them to replace the seal, so they can fix the problem?

Yes it is unreasonable they have given a B/S reason 12 months ago...The over booking thing...Does seem a B/S reason, but did you actually state when you booked the diff seal had to be done, so they allowed the time to do the job?

If you didn't, a good chance they didn't have the time to do it, because they have someone else booked in and if they missed their booking, they'd be whinging about that.

At least it does seem like they want to rectify the problem

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Also, the thing is with GM customer service is that they never cared, even when Holden still existed.... Makes you think that part of the reason Holden lost sales was due to poor quality, both in their product line and after sales...

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
Also, the thing is with GM customer service is that they never cared, even when Holden still existed.... Makes you think that part of the reason Holden lost sales was due to poor quality, both in their product line and after sales...
Yes I have car booked in on 26/9/22 at another ex Holden dealer down Pt Adelaide way. Yes I did tell them I wanted the diff seal replaced 6 weeks ago when I made the booking for the 5 year service.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yes I have car booked in on 26/9/22 at another ex Holden dealer down Pt Adelaide way. Yes I did tell them I wanted the diff seal replaced 6 weeks ago when I made the booking for the 5 year service.
If you want more replies for this problem, I suggest making a new thread in the ZB section as this is a fairly old thread...

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Thread revival, 80t Kms I'm joining the read diff leaking club... Went to service mine and found this mess. Brought the car 3 months ago and it had a new WOF - reckon it was showing then?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-14-11-22-00-327_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-14-11-22-00-327_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_2023-07-14-11-21-52-034_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-14-11-21-52-034_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 100