Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leaking rear main

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Nov 29, 2018.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Anyone had any success with this gear https://www.ebay.com.au/i/332794964780?chn=ps ?

I have a leaking RM and it's not a job I would try to fix myself. Not even sure if replacing the seal would even fix the issue. I know if it was a V8 it can end up leaking worse if you fit a new seal. From what I know with other cars you normally wouldn't replace the RM as it is rarely successful, hence I was wondering about the Nulon gear?

2. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    You can be the guinea pig mine is leaking as well...I tend to find disappointment rather than surprise with this type of thing :D

3. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah I'm not sure whether to bother. If it one of those oil thickeners then never again, they are hopeless. I ask because my trans tech uses Wynns auto trans treatment and has had good results. He put Wynns in two of our transmissions and has done no damage. If it softens seals I would consider it, if it is a thickener then it won't be a good idea. I use 20w / 50 as it is.

4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The one I linked I wouldn't use. I realise now it sounds like an oil thickener. I have checked the WWW and it does look like some are more the consistency of trans oil. Some seem to have an additive that soften and swell the seal. However it would seem some products have too much of the swelling agent and can cause over-swelling on seals that are not worn. Although not sure if that is BS because I really didn't think the Buick had too many rubber seals as such?

5. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    To me, any stuff you put in is a stop gap....the only real fix is replace the seal

afstruct and Lex like this.
  6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    That's it VC and in reality unless you go full rebuild chances of a new seal taking and not leaking again, once replaced is 50/50 at best.

7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    In reality it's not leaking enough to take the chance and replace the seal given the amount of work needed to undertake the job, with it most likely to leak again soon afterwards. It's more of an annoyance than anything. I just don't like oil on the outside of the engine. Hence I'd like to have the sump gasket replaced with sealant at some point as that is weeping also. But again 4-5hrs labour at the mech's.

8. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

If the replacement is done properly, it won't leak....I've done a crud load at home, without re-building the engine and they haven't leaked since....The last one was in my VC....Had to replace the gearbox, so out with the motor, removed the bearing cap, replaced the rear main and put it back together....Wolla, no leak or rattle from there....Only oil leak I have is from the rear side plate gasket....Just been lazy and haven't fixed it yet

9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    It's not something I feel I could get right for sure. I have never tried because I have always read neg results from those who have attempted it on the same various cars I have owned. Advice has always been if it aint bad then leave it. How successful have you found it to be on the Buick V6? I have read a lot about most mech's unwilling to even undertake a RM replacement on the VR and VS V8. I know it's just a matter of dropping the trans and flex plate, lever the old one out and drive the new one in. But I don't want to chance it and not get it in straight or foul it. I guess I could ask the mech how many hours he thinks to replace it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    That’s because the Holden v8’s need the crank removed to do the job properly which is an engine out deal. It can be done in the car but probably takes more time and is more difficult than removing the engine anyway.

The v6 is easy in comparison. It’s just a seal plate. You can get alignment tools but I’ve just centred them by eye with a good set of vernier calipers and they’re fine. If you just bolt the rear cover up without trying to align it properly you’ll have trouble.

losh1971 likes this.
  11. woteva

woteva NEED 4 SPEED

Members Ride:
    VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
    It's not an oil leak, it's just marking their territory.

Lex likes this.
  12. someguy360

someguy360 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    94' VR Statesman 304 - 05' D22 Navara - 17' Focus
    Golden rule of Commodores

Anything you can see will leak, anything you can't see will leak even worse.

13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    yeah TBH its more of an annoyance than a problem. Im just anel and want everything like it was when it rolled out of the dealership. It's not actually even leaving a drop on the ground yet.

14. someguy360

someguy360 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    94' VR Statesman 304 - 05' D22 Navara - 17' Focus
    In my opinion it's only an oil leak when it hits the ground.

VS_Pete likes this.
  15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    So checked the leak and there is more oil under the engine each time I check. Thinking it will soon be time to sort this. I have a question. Does the seal plate need changing like you would if it was an Eco? Or would just buying a seal suffice? There seems to no seal plates on eBay for the VR so NFI on cost? Eco ones are around $160 and I assume they are different to VR? I'd rather have a new plate fitted but Google is not giving me any results, so don't know if they can still be bought?

I found this but it only says seal and not plate.
    https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/permaseal-crankshaft-rear-seal-rms023

16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Ok i rung the the engine rebuilders and Repco, who looked at Kilkenny Castings and the plate is no longer available. Given that should i not replace the seal as it might leak worse if the seal is fitted to an old plate?

17. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Apologies for the continual postings. As a last resort i tried Holden and they don't list a plate as ever being a part available for 94 Buick, they don't even have a discontinued listing? This was according to two separate dealerships. Now i am really confused. Not sure what to do now.

18. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Checked the States and no listing for a plate on a Buick V6. Some of the info in the VR/VS section on replacing RM's on a Buick is incorrect. @delcowizzid just confirmed what I was seriously suspecting that the Buick never came out with a plate. Now I can safely buy the part and have it fitted. I also think the mech may have gotten confused with the VS engine.

I guess I have a new question now. Should I go gen or aftermarket? Price for gen is $27 and about the same at Repco. Ideally I would like a seal that have a slight chamfer on the inside edge so it doesn't get caught and bend when driving it home.

19. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    We run a neoprene replacement seal pop the rear main cap fish out the rope slide the new seal in slight smear of goo on the cap surface and bolt it back up goo tge 2 side seals for the cap and slide them in then bang in tge 2 pins that look like nails she won't leak .

20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Mine doesn't have a rope seal. It has a round seal. It's the 90 - 95 Buick not early, which I believe have a different seal. Well the listing is different to the early Buick V6.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9206572...486307&hash=item25fef8afac:g:mOMAAOSwnn1baliV

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019