Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leaking rear main

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
It's not an oil leak, it's just marking their territory.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Golden rule of Commodores

Anything you can see will leak, anything you can't see will leak even worse.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Golden rule of Commodores

Anything you can see will leak, anything you can't see will leak even worse.
yeah TBH its more of an annoyance than a problem. Im just anel and want everything like it was when it rolled out of the dealership. It's not actually even leaving a drop on the ground yet.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
yeah TBH its more of an annoyance than a problem. Im just anel and want everything like it was when it rolled out of the dealership. It's not actually even leaving a drop on the ground yet.

In my opinion it's only an oil leak when it hits the ground.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So checked the leak and there is more oil under the engine each time I check. Thinking it will soon be time to sort this. I have a question. Does the seal plate need changing like you would if it was an Eco? Or would just buying a seal suffice? There seems to no seal plates on eBay for the VR so NFI on cost? Eco ones are around $160 and I assume they are different to VR? I'd rather have a new plate fitted but Google is not giving me any results, so don't know if they can still be bought?

I found this but it only says seal and not plate.
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/permaseal-crankshaft-rear-seal-rms023

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok i rung the the engine rebuilders and Repco, who looked at Kilkenny Castings and the plate is no longer available. Given that should i not replace the seal as it might leak worse if the seal is fitted to an old plate?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Apologies for the continual postings. As a last resort i tried Holden and they don't list a plate as ever being a part available for 94 Buick, they don't even have a discontinued listing? This was according to two separate dealerships. Now i am really confused. Not sure what to do now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Checked the States and no listing for a plate on a Buick V6. Some of the info in the VR/VS section on replacing RM's on a Buick is incorrect. @delcowizzid just confirmed what I was seriously suspecting that the Buick never came out with a plate. Now I can safely buy the part and have it fitted. I also think the mech may have gotten confused with the VS engine.

I guess I have a new question now. Should I go gen or aftermarket? Price for gen is $27 and about the same at Repco. Ideally I would like a seal that have a slight chamfer on the inside edge so it doesn't get caught and bend when driving it home.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
We run a neoprene replacement seal pop the rear main cap fish out the rope slide the new seal in slight smear of goo on the cap surface and bolt it back up goo tge 2 side seals for the cap and slide them in then bang in tge 2 pins that look like nails she won't leak .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We run a neoprene replacement seal pop the rear main cap fish out the rope slide the new seal in slight smear of goo on the cap surface and bolt it back up goo tge 2 side seals for the cap and slide them in then bang in tge 2 pins that look like nails she won't leak .
Mine doesn't have a rope seal. It has a round seal. It's the 90 - 95 Buick not early, which I believe have a different seal. Well the listing is different to the early Buick V6.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9206572...486307&hash=item25fef8afac:g:mOMAAOSwnn1baliV

Last edited: