Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Tranmission Fluid

IceDHB

Reaction score
Hi people need some help in purchasing the correct tools to fix my leaking tranny.

Its leaking from the top 2 skinny pipes that go ointo the trans.

What are the correct tools i would need to first tighten these up , (hopefully that will stop the leaking) would i also need to remove the tailshaft after lowering the auto a bit when trying to get in there to tighten them?

I'm hoping the mug that put in the auto (b4 i got the car) hasn't thread anything but if this is the case what are my next options?

Its been a slow process of trying to get the car in a relatively reliable state. Just a couple of little things left to do before i can really start looking at improving on what is a good car that lacked some general TLC.

So far i have managed to replace, repair, install
new water pump
new fuel pump
replaced some sensors
new plugs and leads
Air filters
Replaed K&N Pod for std box system
clean throttle body
new battery
returned cut springs to standard
replaced exhaust for std vn v8 one (i have lost some power but it seems to be an overall improment in all other aspects.)
Put in a towbar
fixed alarm system
fixed some internal wiring were certain things were bypassed
renewed the rego and pinkslips
prepped a couple of dings (yet to be painted, quite hard fing the correct paint colour and lavender pearl mix when you don't know the original spray painter).

Still to be Done
New springs and shocky's lowered as the std arse on a vn sits too high and with the wing i have on the car i can't see a bloody thing.
panyard bar front brace as well
wheel alingment i suppose this would be standard with new shocks etc
new rims and rubber
lip the guards
Repair water leak in left handside rear window (number one on the priority list of things to do, i assume the window would have to be removed as well and new seals put in which is a bit beyond my handyman experience).

then after all thats done get a nice interior.

I must also say i wouldn't have been able to do a lot of things without the support of people responding to my questions and even coming out and helping me so thanks eveyone for the help and support.

Reagrds Dan

Ps:Its also great too see what others are doing, have done etc as it give you an idea of of you might like to achieve as well so thanks for that also.

R

rattattack1313

should just neeed some open-end ring spanners for the tranny lines....verrry soft metal, so dont put tooo much force into it..shouldn't need to drop the tailshaft.........with the rear window, depending on how much rust there is in there, ..you might get away with de-acticating the rust, then clean up and bog.........if its real bad, yea, take out the window, and get the welder out....sounds like you have a very nice ride coming up ,mate.....post any pix...(specially of the rear window rust).....and of the whole car......cheers......

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
those are transmission cooler lines, very very soft metal so be careful. u need pipe spanners just to be sure. i cant remember the size it was something like 12mm or 13. just be careful coz its easy to break em. we stuffed em on a mates car and had to either put whole new ones in or repair em. we decided to repair. bad idea. we got the hose off another car that goes on these lines actually into radiator. and clamped them to make joins n **** on the actual lines. but they leak aswell. so if u break u really need new ones! so be careful. tailshaft can say in. the transmission wont move if u take the tailshaft out because its got the mounts and its attached to the engine still!!

Tony Trans

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
you need a 5/8 pipe spanner and a 19 mm spanner rest the 19 on the case as a lever

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hey Tony, this is an old post so the OP won't still be needing help but good on you for sharing information. I've just had the transmission lines on my VP replaced with the lines from a VS because I had damaged the threads by over tightening them myself. They were leaking and couldn't be further tightened. I note the comments above about the softness of the lines from some of the contributors. Welcome to the site