Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lean miss fire on vs ss

Alec_FELZY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ss s2
Anyone ran into a problem when opening the throttle to much air is sucked in and engine wants to die also back firing through intake.

Have checked timing in diagnostic mode and with a timing light.

Have replaced tps sensor

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Do you have the original air cleaner on it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have the original air cleaner on it?
That shouldn't affect it as you can run them without a filter and they shouldn't backfire or die. It's not like a carby where where you need to rejet when increasing airflow. OP needs to scan for codes before anything else.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What's the part number on the spark plugs?

Alec_FELZY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ss s2

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I still feel it’s running lean because of original filter gone letting more air in so needs to be richer and or it’s retarded.
Of course I’m talking old school that I know well, so up to you OP if you wish to address those things.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Double check that you have the leads the correct way around on the distributor cap. The fastening clips should be between the 1/2 and 4/5 leads. The only time I've had a misfire on my V8s is when the leads were positioned incorrectly.

V8 Distributor & Leads.jpg

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I still feel it’s running lean because of original filter gone letting more air in so needs to be richer and or it’s retarded.
Of course I’m talking old school that I know well, so up to you OP if you wish to address those things.

Yeah, that's not how EFI works. The ECU will adjust based on MAF or MAP readings which are taken after the airbox. TBH even carby cars shouldn't have a noticeable rich issue without a filter, the filter shouldn't be a restriction to that extent.

Also, 'not original' air filter could just mean he's running a standard Ryco or something (which almost everybody uses), doesn't actually mean he's not running a filter.

Last edited: