Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Learners Boat - My First Car :)

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
also thats a really low KM car! when i bought my 1st VL Calais in 2004 it had 93,000kms on it and i thought that was awesome for back then!

Lucaas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Well it had a rego sticker on it saying January 05 hahaha, so might explain alot of it :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I was just woundering a mate of mine told me if i want a calais, i should just wait till im close to off my p's so like 2 or 3 years, and buy a genuine calais.? what are your thoughts guys ( got about 9 months on my l's i worked it out .)

What does a provisional license have to do with owning a Calais? Unless your referring to a Turbo Calais. Either way, i think that VL Calais are over priced for what they are, Turbo versions even more so. Nearly all of them will have excessive amount of km's, and best of luck finding one with a clean interior.

Personally i would concentrate on the car you all ready have. Seeing as you got it for nothing at all, plus it has a fresh respray, and it's a manual, you'd have to be bonkers to get rid of it to go in search of something that's probably not anywhere near as good.

I'd get it all back together, and just concentrate on getting it as clean as you can. Forget doing performance mods, filters, extractors, all that crap, honestly it will bugger all difference, and you'll just be wasting your money. If you want to spend money on an engine, why not build a motor up in the shed while your on your provisional? Maybe you brother, and his friends could even give you a hand, it sounds as though they probably know a fair bit.

Plus you could draw unwanted attention. Once you have your open's then different story, do all the mods you want, but keep it all legal (you can have a quick car and still be 100% legal) The last thing you wan't is a defect sticker on your windscreen. I grew up in Sydney, i know all too well what the car scene is like down there.

If you want to spend money on it while your on your provisional, why don't you look into some suspension / brake upgrades ect. Then when the time comes, you can drop whatever motor in it you like, and judging by the paint work in the picture, you'll have one of the cleanest VL's around.

Last edited:

Lucaas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Yeah, i was referring to a turbo calais, or just a calais in general, main point was that even though i can drive, im not perfect yet and im bound to put a few dings and dents in this one, ( cross fingers i dont ). Also got a mate who has conversions cause his a holden wrecker and his local its just weather or not its worth the time and effort tracking down all the little ods and ends to make it look genuine calais. Also one of the first things on my list is a LSD / Disc brake rear end. Anyone got any ideas of a good LSD ratio for a VL?

Also anyone going to the VL Calais palm beach cruise on sunday? starting in roselands parking lot or something like that and going out to palm beach.? Also theres a skyline cruise im pritty sure. If you'se are going i may be in a Matte Black VL Calais Turbo, hahaha with a big motor ;)