Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Blinkers

mrc25381

MRC
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Series II V6
If you replace all your turn signal globes with LED's, don't you need resistors on each of them due to the lack of amps they pull?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
yes, otherwise they will blink real fast.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Yes, resisters are needed, but I'd imagine most aftermarket lights would have them internal to the globe/light assy.

The indicators will flash fast anyway, unless you swap the flasher can for an LED specific type, or add an extra load into the wiring harness in series with the LED. This is because an LED uses much less current compared to a normal incandescent globe.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Yes, resisters are needed, but I'd imagine most aftermarket lights would have them internal to the globe/light assy.
The indicators will flash fast anyway, unless you swap the flasher can for an LED specific type, or add an extra load into the wiring harness in parallel with the LED. This is because an LED uses much less current compared to a normal incandescent globe.

You think they make it easy and build in resistors, but I've never seen aftermarket LED lights with in-built resistors.

and extra load should be added in parallel with the LED.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Thanks wamboin, you are dead right.
Parallel, my mistake.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
I would be surprised if the aftermarket globes didn't have current limiting resistors, or they would blow as soon as you connected them, so I am assuming you re simply taking about the load resitance, which would affect how fast the flasher unit flashes. The best way around this is to use an electronic flasher. They are a little bit more expensive than the old style flasher, but they plug straight in and there is no need to stuff around wiring resistors in the lights or the loom. The flash rate is controlled electronically and is not dependant on the load.
Hope this helps.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Im pretty sure you replace you indicator relay with an LED relay. This will make them flash at correct speed

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
Yep, thats the one Verynice.

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
I would be surprised if the aftermarket globes didn't have current limiting resistors.

They do have current limiting resistors! This is why, they don't fry in a hurry! What is needed to correct the flash rate, is a resistor that has very little current resistance, with the same operating principal as an element on a kitchen stove! Gets hots, but does not melt!