Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

led dash

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
just wonderin if any1s got any instructions on how to install lights into ur heater unit are they just plug in? or do u need to solder i bought 12 leds of ebay and im hoping they fit the size is t5 i been told they will fit. any help would be good. i know u gota scratch the green **** of the buttons for the blue to shine its brightest.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Ok no probs,

Step: 1
Search

Step: 2
Read

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
if you are doing LEDs they need to be soldered in with a resistor (assuming they arent 12V leds)

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
there's some threads on LED dash conversions about 7 pages long that you could check up on. Yes, take Snotty's advice, unless they're specifically stated as being 12 volt LED's then you'll need to have a resistor in line with them. If you don't, your LED will last about 1 second and then be a burnt out worthless piece of junk. The resistors will need to be soldered on, and i believe it'll need to be soldered in place of where the current incandescent bulbs are at present. from memory the longer leg of the led is postive and the shorter leg is negative. do a google search as i know there's info out there about it and they're proper names. cheers, Bryce.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
yeh youre right, long leg is positive. Make sure the LED is connected the right way or it wont work. At lesat i dont think it will

ad45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon S2
semi said:
yeh youre right, long leg is positive. Make sure the LED is connected the right way or it wont work. At lesat i dont think it will

they wont work if its back to front led's are diodes and diodes only let current flow one way

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
LED - Light Emitting Diode :D

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
They dont like too much current either, so make sure your selecting the right resistors, or they wont last long and you will be resoldering, which gets messy. Dicky smith has a little resistor value calculator on his website. When using the formula, use the cars voltage as 13.8V, not 12V. You should get some specifications when you buy the leds, but most are about 20mA.

This is the formula from the dick smith website:

R = (E - 1.7) x 1000/I

So R is the resistance you will need to buy
E is the system voltage which is 13.8V
and I is the current the leds like, if you can get it from the specifications, use it. Otherwise just go with 20 (for 20mA).

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
Im begining to think i wasted my money. I didnt know soldering and addin resistors were involved nor do i know how to do it, but since ive already paid for it i may aswell. Where would i need to go to get them installed? This is what they are http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AUTOTECNICA-...yZ102560QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
it doesnt say anything on there bout resitors just says FITMENT - EASY!. Just pull out your old std filament globe and plug in the LED.