Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED H7 Bulbs

Hinca0488

Reaction score
Members Ride
Former: VF Evoke LPG Wagon
I am looking at H7 LEDs for the VF as I am looking at a new one. I did previously have another one about a year ago, but ran halogens for the fact that LEDs were **** in the projectors. I am wondering if anyone can name a model for decent H7 output, especially on country roads.

I also don't want a discussion of the legalities on this thread please, I understand the law and the risks I am taking, but I do try to ensure the cutoff is at an acceptable level.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
LEDs were **** in the projectors

I've recently tried LEDs in my VE projectors and agree, they were rubbish....light was all over the place.

Also, wasn't happy about no dust covers coz of the fans.

Hinca0488

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've recently tried LEDs in my VE projectors and agree, they were rubbish....light was all over the place.

Also, wasn't happy about no dust covers coz of the fans.
I generally use the fanless models if I can help it, less to go wrong. But I can understand that.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I have had these in my vf for ages on both high and low and they work well.
I have never been flashed so the light spread is ok and they fit in with the dust caps on.

https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/392300205042

This is the hi beam
20190622-194416.jpg

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I am looking at H7 LEDs for the VF... I am wondering if anyone can name a model for decent H7 output, especially on country roads.

I understand the law and the risks I am taking, but I do try to ensure the cutoff is at an acceptable level.
If it’s for country roads that you want better lighting then that implies use of high beam LEDs where beam cutoff is irrelevant :) and where their use is legal in some (if not all) states :cool:

The real problem comes through use of bright powerful low beam LEDs where beam cutoff can be adjusted, usually for a lightly loaded vehicle, but this may blind oncoming cars if/when the vehicle is fully loaded. That’s why there’s a requirement for lamp levelling systems with HID and/or LED based headlamps.

@stooge’s high beams look like they have good penetration though it would have been interesting to see a comparison pic of the “before”. In any case it would also have been interesting to know if stooge needed load resistors as the web link indicates the globe may require them if one gets canbus errors :rolleyes:

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
LEDs were **** in the projectors

Did you align them (9 o'clock and 3 o'clock) ? although I don't know that it matters in projectors.

I have hi and lo beam LEDs and the coverage is much like stooge's.

Didn't need to adjust headlights at all. Chalk marked halogen cut out on the garage door and was exactly the same with LEDs.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
In any case it would also have been interesting to know if stooge needed load resistors as the web link indicates the globe may require them if one gets canbus errors :rolleyes:

nope, i was expecting to have to make up a set but they worked without errors on both hi and low.
i dont have a before pic of the hi beams but the difference between them is like turning a set of spotlights on.

this is the light from my 4wd that has 2x 9inch led spotties and a 42 inch lightbar on the roof and the leds in the vf are similar
20180613-222708.jpg

the low beams are a lot better too and as long as the bulbs are installed correctly they seem to be fine and have a good cutoff point so other drivers dont seem to mind as i never get flashed.
when i tried hids i got flashed a lot so i took them out.

Hinca0488

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you align them (9 o'clock and 3 o'clock) ? although I don't know that it matters in projectors.

I have hi and lo beam LEDs and the coverage is much like stooge's.

Didn't need to adjust headlights at all. Chalk marked halogen cut out on the garage door and was exactly the same with LEDs.
It wasn’t the cutoff causing an issue. The way the LED bulb was designed didn’t work well in the projectors, which is why there are now ones designed for projectors and a few forum posts (including on here) about the issue.

The biggest reason I asked the question is because everyone posts links as the answers, and they are usually dead. I wanted to help out myself and anyone else by reasking the question, and I also hope to provide feedback later on with which bulbs I did get and their performance.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is an epic thread already dedicated to this topic. Lots of photos, brands and results posted.