Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Led headlight can bus ? VY series 2

Kurtly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy series 2 2004
Hi I just purchased the stedi h4 led kit with built in can bus cancellation ? Will this be compatible with my VY v6 series 2 commodore? Or have I made a mistake in purchasing these ?

Thanks

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Stedi web site is not the greatest to play with but they do have a 30 day 100% money back guarantee so that should be comforting for you. No mention about the illegalities of LED conversion globes though... that’s disappointing...

So just be aware that using low beam LED lamps in your commodore is illegal and thus makes your vehicle technically unroadworthy. And poorly installed and adjusted LED conversion globes can provide great driver vision while blinding oncoming vehicle les. You may or may not get pinged, you may or may not have insurance issues should you have an accident. But you should be aware of the risk and make up your mind.

But if you do choose to keep them, install them correctly and adjust them so you don’t blind other drivers.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I hope they not junk cheap set off ebay, when it comes to led you want to have the filament on your bulb and led in the same spot in the housing to get best performance, personally what I've seen in this country that we have no manufacturing testing done to see which led headlights work best in different car makes, there is some good videos on U-Tube from America who test the led on American cars, there is so many out there that are not OEM quality, my advise will be stick with bulbs and get the plus 150.

Kurtly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy series 2 2004
Well first off I appreciate everyone's comments

I've installed the led kit this evening and it's almost dark and I'm going to take my car for a drive and see how they are

I did have trouble getting the cap back on the headlight unit so at the moment the back of the headlight is exposed seems I can't get the cap on as there's too much cable.. :( to be honest I have not had a hard go at it I'll likely have to drop the front bumper to have a chance at getting all the cable stuffed in and the cap on.. I don't see it playing out good if I just left the cap off

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
All LED H4 conversions are not road worthy as the light is not emitted from the pin point location as a halogen does. So because of this the resulting beam pattern is scattered and will flash oncoming traffic not to mention the non focused beam pattern throws light out to the sides and into the sky reducing the efficiency. I had LED lights in an old commodore with lense defraction and they worked okay but all new cars use reflector dfraction so when I moved them to my BA falcon the beam was horrible.

I recomend you return this usless product.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There are high end LED bulbs that throw beam in the right position in the headlamp assembly And won’t bother other drivers.

I guess because of idiots buying eBay junk, they wreck it for everyone.

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
Do other road users a favour and don't be one of those ass clowns running illegal low beam LED or HID in lamps not designed for them. Good point above regarding legality and rest assured, insurance companies will take any chance they get to void ones cover. Call up your insurance company and inform them of your headlamp modification and take a decision from there.

For what it's worth there are plenty of good 4200/4300K road legal halogen's out there that vastly improve light performance. I have Osram Cool Blue Intense 4200K. Work well and last a fair period, around $30 a set delivered at Powerbulbs Australia and they have 20% off at present. From experience, Narva equivalents don't last as long.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
NSW road transport rules,
A light, except a high-beam headlight, fitted to a vehicle must be built and adjusted to provide the necessary amount of light without dazzling the driver of another vehicle approaching, or being approached by, the vehicle.
A low-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for at least 25 metres
A high-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for at least 50 metres.
If they say off road use only and don't say ADR approved then I would say its going to piss off a lot of drivers, what's the going fine for unroadworthy car 500 bucks or there about.
I can only find ADR approved in sealed lights not in a bulb form, so I say it be illegal to use.

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
And lets not forget there are plenty of illegal halogens out there as well such as Phillips Crystal and Diamond Vision, and basically everything else that is not marked as road legal. Where you have a separate High Beam globe, stick whatever you like in there as it's a dedicated driving/spot light, but for the sake of other motorists, and overall road-worthiness, one should stick to genuine approved ADR/ECE compliant Low Beam bulbs.

Regarding HID and LED retro-fits it's pretty cut and dried in that it's illegal if the lamp assembly is not self-levelling, and self cleaning for HID. You can be pretty sure that a factory halogen lamp assembly is not self-levelling!

I researched all this before putting Cool Blue Intense into my Low Beam. From what I learned, Phillips White Vision is the best of the legal halogen upgrades regarding all round performance and longevity, but you pay extra for it. The Cool Blue Intense has slightly more blue in the colour and therefore not as effective in the rain (still satisfactory just not as good as White Vision), but costs less.