Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Headlight globes into VB-VK

Freddy Kruger

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SS UTE
OK, its for my WB but its almost the same headlight...

Has anyone been successful it installing LED headlight globes with the way the globes are held in with the coil spring and ring? The heatsink is just too big. I wonder if there's an aftermarket lens replacement with the new style spring wire clip?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
you should be able to manoeuvre the clip between the heat sink and the base of the led, before you slot it in the hole.
instead of trying to swing the clip around the heat sink.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
On this subject has anyone tried these H4 LED bulbs 100w 1800LM’s? Seem too cheap to be any good.

7C9FFBE8-669A-4227-A884-9424D72F8127.jpeg

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Wouldn't bother with those cheapies Lackballs. Wouldn't give any "throw" at night. Might make the front of the car look "newer" with a white tinge for the headlights, instead of the yellow - but thats about all.

If your set on LED H4's - find some with the ballast box like HID's and a internal cooling fan. These will most likely be the 2 Cree LED models.
I've personally used these: https://aerpro.com/h4led6k on mates 4x4's and Commodores - and while they are bright and the throw is fantastic - be prepared for a lot of people highbeaming you at night, even with them properly adjusted (slightly more further down than normal) they just seem to spread the light around in crazy directions due to not being in a projector lense housing.

I have them in my highbeams and foggies for my falcon and they are brighter thean my HID lowbeams.
They do solve the issue with weak headlights for the older commodores however, and are better for the battery system because they tend not to draw as much power.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Wouldn't bother with those cheapies Lackballs. Wouldn't give any "throw" at night. Might make the front of the car look "newer" with a white tinge for the headlights, instead of the yellow - but thats about all.

If your set on LED H4's - find some with the ballast box like HID's and a internal cooling fan. These will most likely be the 2 Cree LED models.
I've personally used these: https://aerpro.com/h4led6k on mates 4x4's and Commodores - and while they are bright and the throw is fantastic - be prepared for a lot of people highbeaming you at night, even with them properly adjusted (slightly more further down than normal) they just seem to spread the light around in crazy directions due to not being in a projector lense housing.

I have them in my highbeams and foggies for my falcon and they are brighter thean my HID lowbeams.
They do solve the issue with weak headlights for the older commodores however, and are better for the battery system because they tend not to draw as much power.

this is why LED light bulbs are illegal in most states. They can only be fitted to headlights that are designed to be used with LED.

I copped a few of them in my eyes coming home last Friday night (and just as bad when they are in your rear vision mirror) they really are like having high beam in your eyes. When LED are fitted to a headlight reflector and lense designed for halogen lights, it throws the light into oncoming motorists eyes. It's dangerous for other road users. Easy spotted by police, very likely end up defected.

Headlights
Retro-fitting High Intensity Gas-Discharge (HID) or Light Emitting Diode (LED) headlight assemblies to vehicles not originally offered with the technology is generally not permissible as they do not comply with the ADRs because:
• no headlight self-levelling device is fitted
• no self-cleaning function is fitted
• the design of the headlamp reflector is incompatible with the bulb (the light is not focused correctly).
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/.../Vehicle-standards-instructions/G19.pdf?la=en

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yeah, but most VB-VL commodores are show cars anyway nowadays.
And most people who have one have about 10 other things they can be defected for.
If you own a 4x4 it seems to be a wank factor with every driver to have the brightest lights ever made to be fitted to your vehicle.

- And I always tell anyone that there a defectable item when fitting. User beware I suppose. But I do see your point however. I fitted the Mk2 headlights to my Falcon (projectors) - just so I could use HID globes or LED's.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Yeah, but most VB-VL commodores are show cars anyway nowadays.
And most people who have one have about 10 other things they can be defected for.
If you own a 4x4 it seems to be a wank factor with every driver to have the brightest lights ever made to be fitted to your vehicle.

- And I always tell anyone that there a defectable item when fitting. User beware I suppose. But I do see your point however. I fitted the Mk2 headlights to my Falcon (projectors) - just so I could use HID globes or LED's.

agree that we probably all have other defects
But unlike most illegal mods, which mainly effect the driver of that car only, incorrect headlights are hazardous and down right frustrating to other road users. People who fit them are either unaware or more likely don't care that they are blinding other drivers.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Having done a little more research many of the “chinese knock offs” are not built to the high EU/ADR standards & the “cut off” from high to low beam is non existent. Hence why the Phillips genuine H4 HID kits are $250.00. (there are plenty of fake “phillips” bulbs around as well).

My rationale was to improve the lighting as it’s not great with std 55w halogen bulbs, if you go with 90/100w you end up frying the wiring or need to rewire the headlamp circuit with additional relays, just thought the HID or LED route would be a lot better & cost effective!