Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED house lighting.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
So after getting pretty sick of expensive power bills I've put it down to the lights in the house being the problem for the high price every month.
In total there are 26 50W MR16 down lights and 12 40W E27 R63 in our house, all being replaced with 7W LED lights. Without boring you with a math sum that is a whopping 85.05% decrease in wattage for the lighting!
Mind you this is going to cost over $200 to do because there are so many damn lights in the house, thanks Hickinbotham.

Keep in mind, there is only 2 of us in the house and we both work night shift, so it's not like we leave all the lights on overnight or anything, there's no wall switches left on when we go to work either.

I'm interested to hear from anybody else that has switched over their halogens for the superior (but expensive) LED lighting in their house and to hear if you like it or not, or have you saved much each month/quarter on your bills?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've changed out about half our old globes with LEDs. It makes a difference but not a massive one because lights only make up about 15-20% of the average power bill. Plus my kids are getting older and using more power now but the leds have helped keep the bill around the same price while usage and rates have gone up.
I like the 3000k colour the best, it's very close to the colour of halogen lights.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Make sure that if you do change the actual lights (not just globes) that you also consider if they can be dimmed.
Just did a small install for friends to be able to dim their LED Downlights as the light was very strong.

But on the other end of the scale. The Electric Slab Heating is lovely over the winter period :p

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
We have now changed from halogen to LED in three separate properties. We could never go fluorescent as we have a son with epilepsy, and there is some hazard in the flicker.

Our primary home is an older house, and rather dark, so lights are on most of the day. Our water and heating are gas, so changing to LED lights more than halved our electricity bill.

We have since done the switch in two apartments, but did so as soon as we took occupancy, so don't have a comparison for them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All my lights in the house I built are LED apart from the Tastic is the bathroom. I spent 1000s getting my house as energy efficient as I could get but still use single glaze windows as I got a house lot of windows and sliding door for $1150 second hand compared to $6k+ for double glaze. I bought a $7k installed hot water unit thinking about the long-term cost savings. Because I have the exi HWS I was able to not have the off peak tariff which saves me $60 a quarter and my hot water bill is very low, even without getting the slightly cheaper off peak rate.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Since there has been a few replies now I may as well post an update.
I've only replaced 50% of the house lights with OSRAM brand downlights and Edison bulbs, our billing is monthly and compared to the last month we've saved over $30. There has been no other changes around the house either.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds good but as it's getting warmer now could some of that saving be due to not running heaters? Our lowest bills are always Spring and Autumn due to not using AC or Heating for those quarters.
The jump in $$ last summer when we had several 40+ degree days needing to use AC blew all my energy saving efforts out of the water :(
On the plus side, imagine what the bill would have been if we hadn't installed LEDs etc.