Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED indicators and park lights

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Hi all,

has anyone had success with LED tail lights/indicators in a VZ? I'm wondering if the blown bulb indication will come up or the indicators flash faster....I would rather jsut fit bulbs than have to do resistors as well to fix the warnings!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I'd check with 'the authorities' first if I were you as you might find that the LED's are not ADR approved for road use. Just a thought, might save you some embarrassment later on.

tja_bot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais A4
Leds in a vz

I currently have LEDs over the rear number plate on my vz calais. When I first installed them I always got the blown park bulb error come up on the dash, but a month later it doesn't have the error anymore. Think it just gave up.

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
I'd check with 'the authorities' first if I were you as you might find that the LED's are not ADR approved for road use. Just a thought, might save you some embarrassment later on.

Thanks mate - have done it all b4 and it isn't an issue here in NZ :) You guys seem to have mucho tougher/better enforced regs for some things!

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
I currently have LEDs over the rear number plate on my vz calais. When I first installed them I always got the blown park bulb error come up on the dash, but a month later it doesn't have the error anymore. Think it just gave up.

Interesting......you'd think it simply checks continuously, wonder why it stopped?

I might just get one replacement unit and try it.

VZMAX

I THE GREAT
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz svz
I have led's in my number plate lights and parkers, no error whatsoever...and I am seeing lots of cars now-a-days with led parkers and number plate lights so don't think its a big issue...ive had mine for around an year now no problems...

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
I've had blue parkers, red parkers and white parkers and all of them except the red parkers have blown. For some reason the white leds are more prone to blowing up. Never thought of the led side indicator idea. I imagine they would be brighter than the standard wedge bulbs. I've seen red side indicators which were stupid lol. The SMD's are now the better LED's these days, that's why i find works well.

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
For the indicators you will need a relay. I have one that I'm not using.

EDIT: The sides won't make a difference but the front and rears will (so I noticed)

? Can you explain a bit further plz mate? Do you mean a flasher when you say relay - i.e. a flasher that doesn't go quicker when you fit LED's?

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
LED's

I have used SMD LED's for the repeater lamps and parkers
with no problem. Although they did fail in under a year
(poor quality LED's abound!).
Have also used an array of SMD bulbs for the tail/stop lights.
Unfortunatly they where nowhere near the luminosity of
the OEM incandesant bulbs.
As for indicators you will need a LED flasher or a load
resistor on each LED bulb to maintain the correct flash rate.
Once again they might not be as bright as incandesent bulbs.
You are always going to be taking a chance on LED bulb replacement
purely because the light fixtures were never designed to work
with LED bulbs.
Best of luck.