Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Left Side Exhaust Manifold cracks

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
How many of you have noticed that on nearly all the Ecotecs that the Left Hand side exhaust manifold suffers from cracking on the inside area facing the engine block ?

I've found that nearly 9 out of 10 vehicles have the symptoms.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wonder why VR doesn't have the same issue? It's common on the XJ Jeeps to have cracked exhaust manifolds. Story with those is supposed to engine mounts that have cracked and fall apart from heat. I know VR/VS suffer from sagged mounts but not sure if that is the issue. Especially considering VR don't seem to have the same problem.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Apparently it is common. Maybe it's just a flaw in the casting design.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm starting to think it's a weak spot in the thickness of the casting as well. I'm also wondering if it's worth getting the cast iron welded opposed to finding an uncracked unit and have the inevitable happen down the road somewhere.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm also wondering if it's worth getting the cast iron welded opposed to finding an uncracked unit and have the inevitable happen down the road somewhere.

Nah, just fit a set of Pacies with Y pipe delete and twin cats.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry but I'm too old for that sort of noise. I just love a smooth quiet car and my lads $300 bomb is just the most quiet VS I've ever driven. Even quieter than my Calais surprisingly. It's nearly on par with a VF SV6.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm starting to think it's a weak spot in the thickness of the casting as well. I'm also wondering if it's worth getting the cast iron welded opposed to finding an uncracked unit and have the inevitable happen down the road somewhere.

A good possibility.....Going back 10 years ago, I had an ear put back on a gearbox housing, which set me back $200 ish to have done. To date, it is still holding up....So doing your manifold is worth considering

I am also aware Valiant hemis and slants also suffered the same issues, however the solution was replace with extractors.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Totally understand that, I'm sure the welding would be far cheaper than a set of extractors and also far quieter in the exhaust department to.