Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Legal Wheel size for VS Calais S1 & Cost on respray

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
Hello all,

I know 18" mags will fit on my VS Calais, but are they legal and insurable? also will it effect my speedo, like be 5 - 10kms out at 100kph? Looking at putting VY SS 18" or maybe 17" if i have too.

Also im looking at putting a SS boby kit on my car, the colour of my car is botanica mica over silver(dark silver/grey). What i needed to know is what a respray would cost me, im thinking only the bottom half to cut down on the cost for now. so estimated prices on bottom half and also full car 2 colours and a recommendation on maybe a place to do the respray at a good cash price of course.

cheers..

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
15" stock? Meaning 17" legal max. You can always get the speedo adjusted and an engineer cert for the 18's though.

ICUBYE

Reaction score
Members Ride
mattman said:
15" stock? Meaning 17" legal max. You can always get the speedo adjusted and an engineer cert for the 18's though.

Yes i have 15"s on there now, but as far as i can remember the calais had optional 16"s. so does that mean 18"s are ok or still no go.

cos i have seen plenty of vs commies with 18"s and 19"s on them..

Any idea on the cost of getting the speedo adjusted and the engineers cert?

Cheers

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i got 18's on my calais, isnt it still legal if the new rim/tyre is the same size when u stand it next to the old rim/tyre?? cos then wouldnt they have same circumference? My speedo isnt out on mine, its still the same as it was before when i had the 15's on, checked it with my mates gps.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I see heaps of VR/VS Commodores with 18inch wheels, I have 17's on mine, thought just stay legal; I got my VR resprayed for $4500, they did a beaut job, fixed all dints and my cars metallic dark purple. (cheaper for white/silver)

Got quotes for half the price, my theory is either get it properly done, or don't even touch it.

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
I've just got a set of 18"s for my vs exec. Previous owner must of got a calais tyre placard coz it says 16" standard. I still gotta check with insurance tho.

ICUBYE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmmmm i gave AAMI a call nd my insurance will go up $30 a year if i add 18" rims and a $2500 sound system. also according to the tire factory VS commodores came with optional 17" rims, so accordign to them i could put 19" rims on my calais no worrys at all.

He also said from what he has been told some HSV's or HSV enhanced VS's have optional 18"s which means i could put 20"s on... im like HUH?????

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Jamie_87 said:
i got 18's on my calais, isnt it still legal if the new rim/tyre is the same size when u stand it next to the old rim/tyre?? cos then wouldnt they have same circumference? My speedo isnt out on mine, its still the same as it was before when i had the 15's on, checked it with my mates gps.

yep thats right it depends on your rim size as well as the width and profile of the tyre. Stock commos have 205/65/R15 which equates to a diameter of 647.5mm. Say you wanted 17's with the same rolling diameter (or at least not much bigger) you would want 643.3mm which is 3mm small which is not noticable cause your tyres wear that much anyway.

The easy way to work out the overall diameter is:

for the 205/65/R15 wheel mentioned

(25.4mm X15) + 2 x (205x0.65)= 647.5mm

You multiply the profile height by 2 obviously as there is rubber each side of the rim when your measuring the diameter.

If you know what rim size etc you want and you dont wanna put ur speedo out this is an easy way to check.

Obviously there is compromise in ride the bigger you go, as in order to keep a similar diameter wheel, the profile of the tyre must get smaller and smaller.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
if "16's were an option and it say so on the placard then u r legally allowed to go up to 18 inch and for the bottom half u are probably looking at around 500-1000 buck 4 whole car about 2500-3500 depends on the paint and the place u get it.