Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

legalities of an engine swap

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
No, so long as you have the correct manifold and emmisions hoses on it it's just a matter of updating the engine number info etc down at vicroads. Same goes for any factory engine swap or anything that is of similar power/weight to one of the optional engines and bolts in (RB30 etc)

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
As long as you have a intake manifold to suit a blue or black 308 motor with an egr valve and also a pollution quadrajet carb there won't be a problem.

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan - The Beige Bandit!
Yes i believe that you have to run the pollution gear that the car came out with for that motor.. or if the motor is newer than the car u have to run the pollution gear for that motor from what it was out of... Correct me if i am wrong.

Cheers

Josh

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Correct. You must comply to the regulations for the year of the latest part, be it the engine or the body.

EG: If you put a VK engine into a VC body it must comply to the VK emissions regulations. If you put a VC engine into a VK body, it still must comply to the VK regulations.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
does the car need to be inspected by vic roads? i.e new issued RWC and over the pits? or is it a simple call up and change thing?

here is another one. if i was to put efi on my current 308, would i need to comply with the ADR's for the fuel injection? bearing in mind that the block and engine number would be the same. just changed heads, cam, inlet and ex?