Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Legalities on VE headlights.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
It is not opinion on colours and whether they are 'nice' or 'warm' or 'crazy bright' actually, 6000k is technically scheduled as in the blue spectrum in the ADR, hence illegal, as what I was saying to OP.
Personally I like the fact people choose different colours for show, just not on the street. Only a fraction as distracting as fools with '90's 4x4s with blue HIDs and DRLs.

oh ok yeah I got mine off ebay maybe mine were 5000k haha cant remember, but there a really good colour not blue and that bright that it burns ur eyes either

I agree some of the 4x4 up here have killer bright lights on them

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Fact is HIDs are illegal to retrofit into ANY headlamps that do not come from factory with them.
Reality is that if you have projector headlamps, you can install them, and when adjusted correctly they won't offend other drivers.
Best bet is to use 4300k as they have the best light penetration for the human eye.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Only going by the vehicle in your profile, which as I said, is not adjustable to be safe with 6000k HIDs, ridiculous and dangerous.

Same.

Sorry, must have missed that bit where Pickled explains how it is easy to setup basic reflectors to work with 6000k HIDs to be safe and legal.

OP asked about legality of 6000k HIDs, Pickled pipes up says is OK as he runs them on reflectors, which is totally illegal and ridiculous.

No where did I say it was okay to run them in reflector head lights.

It is not opinion on colours and whether they are 'nice' or 'warm' or 'crazy bright' actually, 6000k is technically scheduled as in the blue spectrum in the ADR, hence illegal, as what I was saying to OP.
Personally I like the fact people choose different colours for show, just not on the street. Only a fraction as distracting as fools with '90's 4x4s with blue HIDs and DRLs.

6000k's aren't blue, mine are white so what are you going on about?

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Ive got 6000k in my projector lights and its the best thing ive done. They give much better light out then any other globe ive used.

So what if they give a tinge of blue when the car hits a light bump in the road. Even halogen yellow lights in projector headlights give a small tinge of blue aswell when they move and even factor 5000k do the same.

Aim them just a lad lower then the rear bumper of a car and you wont blind anyone while still you have improved driving lighting

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
I thought they were only legal, and safe, if the vehicle had self correcting adjustment.

Darren

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
HIDs are illegal end of story

If you feel the need to tamper with the factory headlights because you can't 'see' maybe get your eyes check first. I hate a**holes with stupid bright headlights on the highway. You might think there good but everyone else secretly hates you.

My 2 cents

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
VE has got the best headlights in my small fleet of vehcles by far, makes some feel like I am driving with just park lights. Why would you change them. How many clowns out there with lights that shine off the back of the blokes head in front but they are too stupid to know or adjust them.

callan91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega 3.0L Series 2
Thanks for the points of view.
I removed my original HID's because of the glare with the shitty reflector lenses.
The reason I was going to purchase projector's was to rectify this problem and avoid a budgie on my windscreen.

I have been running Phillips extremes for about 2 months and I will be honest they are not satisfactory for my needs driving on bush land roads with roo's everywhere and no supporting lights from the council.

I didn't mean to start a HID shitstorm, but I guess that is unavoidable lol.
I am interested in the 5000k because the 6000k does give of a slight blue tinge and will attract attention I'm sure.
Thanks again guys and I am open to any ideas for a globe that performs better than Phillips and puts out the whitest possible throw onto the road without becoming a nuisance.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
HIDs are illegal end of story

If you feel the need to tamper with the factory headlights because you can't 'see' maybe get your eyes check first. I hate a**holes with stupid bright headlights on the highway. You might think there good but everyone else secretly hates you.

My 2 cents

No, you hate assholes that fit HIDs into reflector headlights, if you have them in the projector type AND adjusted so they are pointing towards the road and not oncoming traffic, they're fine.