Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Legalities on VE headlights.

callan91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega 3.0L Series 2
Hey guys I'm looking at getting some halo's installed in projector lights for my series 2.
I have had no so far trying to find the ADR's regarding colours for headlights/ Parkers etc.
I really like 6000k HID's but someone recently informed me that 4500k is legal and any higher is Illegal.
Has anyone got any tips or had any experience with HID colours and the legalities

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hey guys I'm looking at getting some halo's installed in projector lights for my series 2.
I have had no so far trying to find the ADR's regarding colours for headlights/ Parkers etc.
I really like 6000k HID's but someone recently informed me that 4500k is legal and any higher is Illegal.
Has anyone got any tips or had any experience with HID colours and the legalities

As much as I hate naysayers and lollygaggers, both mods are illegal. There is the letter of the law which I'm sure Benboy will proffer, and there is the practical inadequacies of keeping the lens clean, reflector shape outside that, and the design of the complete unit means putting any HID globes in it LIKELY causes safety issues for OTHER motorists.
People fricken hate idiotic HID drivers http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=219620
I drive 1200-1500k a week nationally, and can report first hand that wankers with blueish (6000k) lights in lawl Pilipino taxi setups are not just shunned by other road users but also targeted by truckies. These guys don't hesitate to blind said pricks with their own mega beams but also use high-powered rear-facing "reverse lights" and, well.... co-ordinated road revenge on idiots with wildly refractive HIDs piercing their mind-numbing banality...
ezuvegaj.jpg

I suspect one fiery crash in Sydney on the M5 in May involving a VE SS and two trucks may be related to HIDs... for example. Don't add to the plethora of idiots, get 5300k max, make sure the swoosh line of A) driver side beam's "tick"doesn't hit the rear vision in front at ANY time, and B) same on passenger side swoosh does not point offside left so as to carelessly hit traffic in left lane and blind / annoy every poor old fart / Ford driver you pass on the highways.
And FFS keep the horizon line below the boot lid of car in front at 5m.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
As much as I hate naysayers and lollygaggers, both mods are illegal. There is the letter of the law which I'm sure Benboy will proffer, and there is the practical inadequacies of keeping the lens clean, reflector shape outside that, and the design of the complete unit means putting any HID globes in it LIKELY causes safety issues for OTHER motorists.
People fricken hate idiotic HID drivers Idiots with HID's!
I drive 1200-1500k a week nationally, and can report first hand that wankers with blueish (6000k) lights in lawl Pilipino taxi setups are not just shunned by other road users but also targeted by truckies. These guys don't hesitate to blind said pricks with their own mega beams but also use high-powered rear-facing "reverse lights" and, well.... co-ordinated road revenge on idiots with wildly refractive HIDs piercing their mind-numbing banality...

*Picture of big bad truck removed

I suspect one fiery crash in Sydney on the M5 in May involving a VE SS and two trucks may be related to HIDs... for example. Don't add to the plethora of idiots, get 5300k max, make sure the swoosh line of A) driver side beam's "tick"doesn't hit the rear vision in front at ANY time, and B) same on passenger side swoosh does not point offside left so as to carelessly hit traffic in left lane and blind / annoy every poor old fart / Ford driver you pass on the highways.
And FFS keep the horizon line below the boot lid of car in front at 5m.

Or he could just get 6000k and adjust them properly? I've had them for over a year now with no problems.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Or he could just get 6000k and adjust them properly? I've had them for over a year now with no problems.

For you, still a problem for others. Infuriating in fact. Your headlights are totally not designed for it, and can't be adjusted 'properly'. My vote is that the Police book you for being... foolish... before you hurt someone (or someone hurts you).

Last edited:

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
For you, still a problem for others. Infuriating in fact. Your headlights are totally not designed for it, and can't be adjusted 'properly'. My vote is that the Police book you for being... foolish... before you hurt someone (or someone hurts you).

It's weird, you're acting like you know my car. And actually yes, they can be adjusted if you have half a brain.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
It's weird, you're acting like you know my car. And actually yes, they can be adjusted if you have half a brain.

ive got hid's in my ssv, ive adjusted the beam lower so doesn't hit peoples mirrors ect, still giving tons of light, been behind police many times or beside and never had a problem

just set them up right, easy as to do as pickled said

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

Only going by the vehicle in your profile, which as I said, is not adjustable to be safe with 6000k HIDs, ridiculous and dangerous.

ive got hid's in my ssv, ive adjusted the beam lower so doesn't hit peoples mirrors ect, still giving tons of light, been behind police many times or beside and never had a problem.

Same.

just set them up right, easy as to do as pickled said
Sorry, must have missed that bit where Pickled explains how it is easy to setup basic reflectors to work with 6000k HIDs to be safe and legal.

OP asked about legality of 6000k HIDs, Pickled pipes up says is OK as he runs them on reflectors, which is totally illegal and ridiculous.

Last edited:

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
OP said his projector head lights, DONT run HID on the reflector type head light, get projector!

no sure whats illegal or not, but the 6000k ive have arnt crazy bright or blue

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
OP said his projector head lights, DONT run HID on the reflector type head light, get projector!

no sure whats illegal or not, but the 6000k ive have arnt crazy bright or blue

It is not opinion on colours and whether they are 'nice' or 'warm' or 'crazy bright' actually, 6000k is technically scheduled as in the blue spectrum in the ADR, hence illegal, as what I was saying to OP.
Personally I like the fact people choose different colours for show, just not on the street. Only a fraction as distracting as fools with '90's 4x4s with blue HIDs and DRLs.