Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Legality of Lowering Car (and Camber) on Red Ps in NSW?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I might put around -7ish degrees of camber on my front wheels to achieve a drift stance look
The problem is that the two cars you're looking at are clearly track cars - as in you won't be able to get this kind of angle unless you're using some camber tops with a fairly wide range of adjustment, and it's pretty likely those cars will also be running modified strut towers or offset strut tops. Those cars are definitely running extended lower control arms (the wide guards kind of hide that) which you won't have either - looking at the VE/VF LCA it's not really something I'd be wanting to cut up to extend, all the Nissans have sheet pressed LCAs which get most of their rigidity from their form so it's a lot easier to do with them. I doubt there is any VE in Australia that is running only coilovers that would even get to -6deg. Most people I personally know with these cars as dedicated track cars don't even go to/past -6deg.

The thing you also have to remember is that those cars have 30 years of world wide parts support and modification - there was little that changed suspension wise from 1989-2001 in them - so being able to get parts and set them up in that way is fairly straight forward. Not so for a VE.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Also worth mentioning this car runs a decent amount of the Powered By MAX and Driftworks parts catalogues which goes a long way to making it look like that, but also making it work properly. That much lock probably isn't necessary though.

So to get that amount of camber on this car, it has Driftworks adjustable LCAs, likely has extended tie rods (the part the article describes doesn't actually exist), and also has PBM knuckles but I'm not sure if they're designed to effect the camber in any meaningful way (likely not).
Rocky_Mountain_Drift_28-1200x800.jpg

There's a Speed Hunters article about it here, but unfortunately no alignment specs - http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/10/interpreting-jdm-canada/

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Also worth mentioning this car runs a decent amount of the Powered By MAX and Driftworks parts catalogues which goes a long way to making it look like that, but also making it work properly. That much lock probably isn't necessary though.

So to get that amount of camber on this car, it has Driftworks adjustable LCAs, likely has extended tie rods (the part the article describes doesn't actually exist), and also has PBM knuckles but I'm not sure if they're designed to effect the camber in any meaningful way (likely not).
Rocky_Mountain_Drift_28-1200x800.jpg

There's a Speed Hunters article about it here, but unfortunately no alignment specs - http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/05/canadian-car-culture-on-display/

The odd thing is that car won't have huge amounts of negative camber. It has huge lock angles, but straight ahead, it probably looks pretty normal. Certainly not like that abomination earlier.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The odd thing is that car won't have huge amounts of negative camber. It has huge lock angles, but straight ahead, it probably looks pretty normal. Certainly not like that abomination earlier.
Has heaps of negative camber.
N57wkDm.jpeg
Louis_Yio_2016_Speedhunters_Koncept_Industries_S13_10-1200x800.jpg

The reason why it looks like doesn't in that photo of it driving is that when you dial in heaps of caster, the leading wheel (the one turning away from the car) will essentially go to positive camber so that the leading wheel will kinda dig into the ground through the turn. The leading wheel camber becomes similar to the trailing wheel (or a bunch more positive angle at least). It's kinda hard to describe without a model or something, but think of it as "both wheels having camber for the direction the car is turning" - you can kinda see it in the picture of it driving. It also makes the car handle way better (caster that is).

Last edited:

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
Red P plate, lowered Commodore, mad negative camber + blast pipes out the back.
Just ad a sign on the back window "All Highway Patrol coppers are idiots" to get their attention better.

Take some advice from old farts who have been there, done that, back when rules were not so stringent. Just add wasted $$$, long hair, tight shirts and flared jeans to complete the picture.
Wait until you are on a full license before doing mad mods. By then you may have have changed your mind about what you think is so cool now.
( Or is 'cool' an old farts expression )

But Yolo grandpa.... Wateva

Nolzy420

Reaction score
Members Ride
Modded Vf sv6 series 2
I would recommend running SLs which is around 35mm. Anything lower scrapes just about everything and looks too red hot. My mats had SSLs and all have been done. I’ve never had problems with my SLs. In regards to 7 degrees camber… I have to agree with everyone else. It’ll ride horribly, wear the inside of your tires much quicker and impact traction significantly. On top of that it’ll be a cop magnet and probably lead them on to looking into other aspects of ur car such as suspension or exhaust which are easy targets. Up to you bro but probably not worth it.

Bill Dvdsn

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVE Commodore Ute
I bought a "lowered" VE SSV Ute.
Yeah they cut the bloody springs........... F'n knotheads.
Cost me 2 grand, spring, shocks the works......
Leave it alone!

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
It depends on the cop, I've been pulled over before on my reds, lowered car and aftermarket exhaust. Only got harassed by one cop, not because of the ride height but the exhaust and I was "missing an intake pipe that funnels air from the guard to the airbox. Exhaust was legal, took it to the exhaust shop and he said it's legal.

It also depends where you live as well.

Involcano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V (V6)
i think this is about the 10 or so deg so 7 wouldnt be far off prob wouldnt notice it at all driving around :rolleyes:

a82ec9e14534fa6215d31f0234c82c2f.png
oh yeah, then 7 degrees is way too much lmao, I misjudged how much camber I was thinking about. Probably was thinking of -4 to -5