Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leigh's '81 VH SL/X Project

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Been smashed at work lately and the poor girl has sat mostly silent.. I rotated the struts and was very surprised how well it corrected the camber, and some fiddling with rack ends has got it pretty bloody straight now. This was all great but I still had the fuel issue and was jut too busy to dive in deep..

Anyway, this morning I got up nice and early and the fuel gremlin is sorted!! Turned out to be the filter being blocked - I probably ran the tank a little low when messing about with things.. Popped down to the shop and picked up a new Raceworks 3/8" filter and we're all good!!

Took her for a few spins today to make sure everything is fine and all good news - she pulls pretty well actually and has no problems losing traction off the line with just a stab of the right foot. So I'm super stoked!!

Still got a few things to sort out like
  • new springs & shocks
  • proper wheel alignment
  • clip hard brake line back on the diff as it came loose today and was rattling against diff housing
  • remove 'temporary' SL console and install the SLX high-rise console
  • source an indigo steering column cover or just paint the sandalwood one in it now
  • source an SLX steering wheel or if too expensive, a nice simple aftermarket one.
  • new front door cards without speaker holes would be nice..
I also need to review the wiring diagram and find where the 4l60e trans "power" switch wire lives, as I think it would be nice to have that hooked up somewhere to change the shift points and TC lock-up.

I'm also fairly sure the last time I had a mail-order tune done (by greenfoam here on JC) the shift points were also re-mapped and it made a huge difference. Does the memcal also have a setting for the diff ratio? Coz if so, I should probably get that changed to suit the VL diff.

Anyway just wanna say thanks to all you bloody legends on here who've helped out with great advice and support while I fumbled through this build, especially @gtrboyy and @Vin999 - you lads are truly gurus and I owe ya both a beer!

Time for some traction-testing vids!!! :cool: :cool:
:p:p

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yes I believe that the ppk (pulse per km) can be changed in the chip. As I'm sure immortality did that for me when going to 3.45 ratio.

Anyways CONGRATS on getting it out driving. I (we all) look forward to seeing the videos soon.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
All good now go to beat on that thing like it owes ya money & don't park it up untill wires hanging out rear tyres or giggling like a schoolgirl haha

Power/economy is basically an earthed switched...blue wire B1 from ecu if look back on wiring diagrams.
Basically changes shifts by couple hunded revs...thought about hooking it up but cbf'd after custom memcal tune & barely a notice difference on factory cars that did have it.

But yeah if you want to give it a go trace b1 blue wire then hook it up to earthed switch.

Probably helps to get shift points changed in memcal to suit gears or just better performance even with stock gears...if really want to get most out of it make sure transgo shift,boost valve & corvette servo is already done otherwise will still have that lazy shift feeling or like you think it's spinning but probably isn't.

If it spins on gears changes will usually step out on you easily enough to notice or speedo notably jumps up with wheelspin lol

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Yeap definitely going to give the trans a nice service and transgo/corvette servo - had that combo in the old VR and it made a huge difference :cool:

And just my luck - rego runs out Friday!! I said to the missus I'd park it up over the rainy months but may have to chuck a few more months on it just to really give it some more time for testing haha