Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leigh's '81 VH SL/X Project

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
In regards to fuel lines, what will be easier to get through your roadworthy check? And are there many other things that you hope to sneak through?
With my truck I am trying to do everything as tidy and factory as possible for roadworthy check. So then they don't ask about the power steering conversion and send me away for engineers certification.

For SA, this page is a decent starting point for basic guidelines:

It covers what mods will require engineering certs, and they had a good PDF somewhere also.. I should dig that up.

I'm pretty sure they'll allow larger fuel lines as long as they're mounted correctly and use the right clamps etc. If I go all custom hard line, I'll be getting a mate to just weld AN threads onto every end so I can just screw things on/off.

Steering wise I'll be fine I think. I'm not chopping or welding any steering/mounting points and it's all factory so no dramas there.

I'm going overkill on the battery stuff so they can't ping me for anything dumb.

Most of the stuff I'll be changing is essentially all from the same parts catalogue too (i.e. VB - VN) so this should help keep things all within guidelines.

I'm a bit ignorant on this stuff so I think I'll ring vehicle standards again and go thru my plans in more detail. Last time I spoke to them, the bloke was pretty lax about it though lol, he laughed when I said I didn't wanna get stuck engineering everything and waved his hand going "nah you'll be fine" :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just make sure, with the battery if you are relocating it, it is placed in a battery box and vented to the outside of the car.....It should save you a headache there with Regency Park :)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Just make sure, with the battery if you are relocating it, it is placed in a battery box and vented to the outside of the car.....It should save you a headache there with Regency Park :)
no issues there ... battery's are sealed units :rolleyes: :)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
For SA, this page is a decent starting point for basic guidelines:

It covers what mods will require engineering certs, and they had a good PDF somewhere also.. I should dig that up.

I'm pretty sure they'll allow larger fuel lines as long as they're mounted correctly and use the right clamps etc. If I go all custom hard line, I'll be getting a mate to just weld AN threads onto every end so I can just screw things on/off.

Steering wise I'll be fine I think. I'm not chopping or welding any steering/mounting points and it's all factory so no dramas there.

I'm going overkill on the battery stuff so they can't ping me for anything dumb.

Most of the stuff I'll be changing is essentially all from the same parts catalogue too (i.e. VB - VN) so this should help keep things all within guidelines.

I'm a bit ignorant on this stuff so I think I'll ring vehicle standards again and go thru my plans in more detail. Last time I spoke to them, the bloke was pretty lax about it though lol, he laughed when I said I didn't wanna get stuck engineering everything and waved his hand going "nah you'll be fine" :p
Yea nothing like getting experience from hands on, and yes most times factory parts can handle relative power nothing to crazy.

If your not racing/dragging car why go for shiny expensive aftermarket sh$$t trying to work stuff out when the factory engineers have already done the work for you using standard parts from other models/engine/gearboxes. Seems some people like the bling $ pose $ factor over what actually works more cost affective.
More money than brains:p , worse than the carowners/china virus... it’s the have/have nots disease infecting car clubs/forums and getting worse o_O.

POST EDIT @ woops replied to this and not gtrboyy's last message, no sweat can still apply to this post as an answer :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Why have some batteries got vent tubes?

what has your engineer mate had to say about this?

Hasn't the op stated he is over engineering he battery side of things? Wouldn't using a battery box fall into that category?

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Turbo yoda quote aye

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thread cleaned.

Not all batteries are sealed batteries so your point is invalid.

@Vin999 You need to leave your personal issues off the forum, continue this personal crusade against another forum member and you will be banned permanently.

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Yeh I might treat myself and get something nice battery-wise, just to ensure no headaches come inspection time.

Bit the bullet this week and ripped the old diff out of the VH, so now there's no turning back - got a lead on a VL turbo diff so hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow on that. Battery plate and should be done this weekend too.

The stato is definitely looking leaner now, been selling mostly interior bits n bobs off over the past few weeks and made some coin back. Surprising how many Victorians want parts mailed over lol

Last Sunday was productive.. I chucked my engine hoist in the trailer, went round and pulled everything I could from the stato..
I managed to get it from a complete engine with all accessories in the bay, to an engine and trans sitting in my trailer - in about 3.5 hours.. (including a 25 minute break to let a Gumtree bloke have a squiz over some parts :cool:) - not bad for a solo job!

Got a few mates together for an hour or two tonight, to try smash out some more dismantling.. managed to get almost all the engine loom out, washer bottles, fuse box, the k-frame is out and is going into the parts washer tomorrow morning - also got all the fuel lines out so I can at least have a play and see what fits and what can be used for a template if it doesn't.

Getting excited now.. its been slow-moving due to horrible logistics having the cars sitting at different homes, but once the VS k-frame is back in my hands tomorrow, I can finally begin the re-assembly process.. and hopefully I'll start adding some pics to this boring thread :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Personally I would only ever buy a sealed battery nowadays.
It's not the 90's anymore.

Some sealed batteries actually have vent tubes with them....Not sure what they are to suit though :)