Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LEO to LY7 high output v6

reaper2204

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ crewman v6
I own a 2007 vz crewman v6 it has the LEO 175kw version in it, I have done abit of research and the only difference I can find between the LEO 175kw and the LY7 195kw high output v6 is that the LEO only has variable valve timing on the intake, where as the LY7 has variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust. I was wondering is there some upgrade/tune for the LEO to acquire variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust.

cheers.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Given the differences in the camshaft mechanical configurations, electro/mechanical connections would think it was not a practical engineering project to convert to the full variable camshafts setup.

The support costs of ECU/BCM, extra (? ) O2 sensors etc could make it an expensive 20KW gain.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I own a 2007 vz crewman v6 it has the LEO 175kw version in it, I have done abit of research and the only difference I can find between the LEO 175kw and the LY7 195kw high output v6 is that the LEO only has variable valve timing on the intake, where as the LY7 has variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust. I was wondering is there some upgrade/tune for the LEO to acquire variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust.

cheers.

in a word no

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Better off spending your money on a tune to get rid of the torque management.

If you want to add other bits like extractors and a cold air intake, get them before the tune.

reaper2204

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ crewman v6
thanks for the help guys, I will be getting a cold air intake, and was thinking a set of 2.25in peacemakers full exhaust extractors the lot, the cold air intake i am alittle stuck, I was thinking either the ss inductions growler, or an OTR though having trouble finding one with the clip on maf sensor, can only find the 2 screw version for the VE. I have also replaced the coil packs as I was getting the check powertrain fault code, got a good price for a set of 6 and fixed my misfiring/fault code problem.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm pretty much in the same boat, and am wanting to get more out of the engine. Is there any limits to building up the LE0 as apposed to the LY7?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.