Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leo's 99 VT Series II SS

ausleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS Sedan
If you would like to follow the progress for my project car the link is here
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/leos-00-vt-series-ii-ss.269969/

There won't be any discussion in this thread for the 2000 model although I'm keeping both of them :)

Anyway I almost lost a wheel today on my car (this one the 99 model) I heard some creaking noise in the front end it was like something was going to crack. I jacked up the front drivers wheel and the wheel nuts were all loose. I had one lock nut on it wasn't as loose but the rest were omg almost coming off. I tightened them and then drove up and down the driveway for a bit and they were loose again.

I replaced the wheel nuts on drivers side and most likely going to replace ALL the wheel studs on it.

After putting the newer wheel nuts on I put a second lock nut on it. But I'm buying all new nuts and might even get all new lock nuts too. These nuts have been on and off the car since I bought the car nearly a decade ago.

I am lucky I don't have my music loud and extra lucky that I take pride maintaining this car. One thing I don't want is my wheels racing me towards an oncoming vehicle or tree.

I might have a roof lining for this now. New carpet will be my next investment oh and a wheel alignment it's booked in this week better safe than sorry :)

ausleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS Sedan
I have air conditioner problems

My brother vacuum tested it for me and it has a leak.

We have the proper gas detector put some gas in and no leak

edit: now he tells me his hose had a problem.

I have priced an evap core not sure yet if needed.

Last edited:

ausleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS Sedan
WOW.. had this thing for 10 years now. :)
236,850 kms on the odometer now.
Roughly 58,000kms in 10 years,
:rolleyes: not too bad if I consider my average is between 5000-6000 kms per year.

It's due for a spring cleaning, a big once over inspection and make sure it's good for another 10 years.

I gave it some fish oil in the boot spare wheel well and across the back and in the 1/4's and underneath from the diff back to the bumper including above the fuel tank. Before the fish oil in the boot I went over all the seams with new seam sealer. Next week I am ripping the bumper bars off and the side skirts and door trims, kick panels, seats out and fish oil behind there too and the floor under body everywhere I can find a hole and if it needs any seam sealer I will do that too. I need to check the anti intrusion bars on the doors and might replace the check straps on the doors.

The window tint on the back window has a line in it like a bubble has creased, same on the drivers side rear door on the 1/4 window. The clear coat has peeled off the bootlid and the rear wing and there's a bit of clear coming off the passenger rear 1/4 panel near the boot, I have 3 spare bootlids in the shed, same colour and they are all about 9/10 - 10/10 as far as condition goes. I will have to do something about the clear on the 1/4 panel I don't want it getting worse than it is. Polished the front end this arvo between beers it looks good. I will polish the rest next week when I put it out back for it's big clean.

I gave some Throttle Body Cleaner today, chucked some injector cleaner in the tank too and been using 98 Octane Fuel. The price of petrol these days is a bit of a joke.. the 98 Octane price varies around here by 40 cents per litre within 5 minutes of the petrol stations, at least I found the better price. I also found the car seems to enjoy BP Ultimate 98 it was $1.41 compared to Shell 98 which I never buy but it was $1.86.

Mechanically the engine is awesome it idles smooth and is responsive when I put my foot down. Going to flush the engine and radiator and give it new oil and coolant, new filters etc. Next week I plan to go over the whole car and check everything and see what TLC it needs. I'm tempted to put the pacemaker headers on it and exhaust off my spare car. I might get the gearbox serviced too.

I bought brand new lower control arms a couple of months ago with the bushes and ball joint, they are on and good. I'm probably going to buy new shock absorbers soon too. The front passenger wheel seems to be making an intermittent grinding noise it only does it when driving straight or if I turn a little to the right, if I turn left it makes no noise. I am not sure what it is but I will be replacing the front wheel hubs just in case it's a bearing noise.

10 years haha can't believe I still got it! I have no plan to sell it so i'm looking forward to another 10 years to look back here and say WOW again :)

I might upload some photo's of the SS next week when I pull it apart for it's big clean.

I still have my spare white SS and the black SS and all the LS1 running gear. I haven't built one out of the two yet but the engine is wrapped up weatherproof in good to go into something. I don't think I will need to put it into this SS but at least I still have a complete spare running gear package if needed.

Also I just bought a 2002 VU Ute picking it up this Thursday 19th September 2019 and registering it next week so I can drive that while I clean this car. I will start a new thread for that one when I get it.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Good luck pics please

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice, it creeps up on you . Had my v2 monaro for just over 10 years, put 45 ,000 klms on it in that time.
Same I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.
You know you're on a personal winner when you're still happy to keep and don't plan to sell even with these sort of ownership timeframes.

ausleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS Sedan
I have been trying to diagnose the noise I am getting on the front end. When driving I get a persistent grinding noise I thought it might be wheel bearing but then after reading a few posts on here that suggest it could be warped disc or brake pistons not releasing properly. I sprayed a heap of stop squeak brake stuff on the disc and gave it a whirl and notice it marks the disc as I rotate it. They are not worn much but I noticed the noise began right after I put a new set of Bendix Brake pads on some time ago. Back then it sounded like the brake pad was moving and it made a clunk noise when I applied the brakes or when turning. I put new clips on and it still made noise.

Now the noise is a bit louder and more constant as the brakes have worn a bit since then. And looking at these images I think the issue is the brakes, they stop good, I don't think the wheel is going to fall off. I do have a spare wheel hub and brake caliper in the boot just in case. It's coming off the road next week for a couple of weeks so I can go right over it. I will get new brake pads, swap the rotors from passenger to driver side and see what happens. Then if needed I will change the calipers and put new hubs on which is probably the most likely outcome anyway.

99vtss.jpg
IMG_2390.jpg
IMG_2391.jpg
IMG_2393.jpg

ausleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS Sedan
Replaced the wheel hub, noise all gone. Road tested and it's sweet.

Will post some photo's as request in a reply

It still looks pretty good for it's age, Just washed it so that's why the back window looks a bit funny.

I will post photo's of the interior later after I steam clean the seats.
You can also see my new old VU Ute in the background in a couple of pics I will get around to starting a Show off your ride thread for that soon it's a pretty clean VU and also update my other thread about my 2000 VT SS as the weather is getting warmer I'm actually starting to chuck the LS1 in it (save that for other thread - just a heads up)

IMG-25282.jpg
IMG-25302.jpg
IMG-25312.jpg
IMG-25322.jpg
IMG-25332.jpg
IMG-25342.jpg

ausleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS Sedan
bought some new rear CV axles for it (hope fitting is not a pain in the butt) and a strut brace, still on their way from eBay.
247,000kms
1616778187753.png
1616778218196.png

Next thing I want is a new under bonnet insulation liner the old one is falling apart.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
CV Axles are easy to replace,
Just need a good quality Allen Key and a small bit of steel tubing for a bit leverage,

While you have the car off the ground, and under there,
Maybe think about draining the Diff and refill it with some nice fresh oil [assuming its a LSD]
As the Diffs usually forgotten about.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Next thing I want is a new under bonnet insulation liner
I ordered one on the 28 Jan. Still waiting.

You may have a long wait.
Second thoughts maybe not.
Corona virus 19 is to blame. Factory not working to full production.
Good luck with it. Keep us posted.