Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Let's Talk About Light's :)

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
Ok so I bought my vs ute recently but do not like the yellow tinge i get from the bulb's i already have some type of philips blue one's but it's just not good enough, I want to know the standard wattage of the bulb's and if i get HID's can I buy lower wattage HID's so I am not one of those Wanker's that blind people going in the other direction or in front of me even.. basically I want the lovely blueness of the HID's but agree with many that they often blind people.. any help or even halogen... if anyone know's 6000K Halogens I'm happy to get them! but not any lower as I'm fairly sure i have 5000K and it's not blue enough :/ thanks.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
those blue headlight globes lights are illegal, in SA people were getting hammered for them a while back.

HID's regardless of what type you will put in will also be highly illegal and also be blinding due to not being able to angle them, and also having them in non projector style headlights will disperse the light all over the shop.

You will be a defect waiting to happen.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I don't get it

You rather have pretty looking headlights in only which others would see and in which they wont give a crap about then to be able to see properly at night?

More white to blue you go, worse depth of field you go.

Been there, done that.
Settled on Philips Xtreme myself.
Best thing I did.

Rather see at night.

And HID in non projector headlamps a mo no

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Have you tried running a thicker earth wire to the body? It made a difference to the lights on mine, the stock earth strap from the battery to the body really is quite pityfull.
Then there is the 20 yr old relay that can be changed, in fact I thought the correctly adjusted and earthed lights with decent halogen globes where pretty good compared to other cars around this vintage.

Oh yeah and the boy's are right, HID's = LOL in a vs.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I had some great low beams in my old VR statesman. can't remember the brand though but they where the blue ones. I bought them from covs so they must be legal - at least in my state.

I found just the regular halogen globes where fine for me to see at night though. the vr/s lamps threw out decent light. I too just didn't like the yellow look. I recently got a new set of high beams for my VX, they are narva "intense maximum legal blue" and they are great - I do heaps of highway driving at night.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Just because an auto store sells it doesn't make it legal... Also you actually will see less the bluer the light. I will only ever use Philips Xtreme Vision +100. Nice crisp white ligth.

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
I would much prefer see at night.. but what I am trying to say is that, if I got low voltage Hid's would it be just as bright as the phillip's extreme vision and have the nice 6000k blueness to them ? i know I'm asking for a lot lol but what i want is a good view of the road and with my lights a nice blueish color.. is that too much to ask for lol

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I would much prefer see at night.. but what I am trying to say is that, if I got low voltage Hid's would it be just as bright as the phillip's extreme vision and have the nice 6000k blueness to them ? i know I'm asking for a lot lol but what i want is a good view of the road and with my lights a nice blueish color.. is that too much to ask for lol

No they wont and again they'll be illegal, they'll also piss other drivers off.
Yes you are asking to much, so give up on the idea and move onto the next mod.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Just because an auto store sells it doesn't make it legal... Also you actually will see less the bluer the light. I will only ever use Philips Xtreme Vision +100. Nice crisp white ligth.

I actually phoned the DOT today to check on this. they said the blue style halogen globes are perfectly legal. what is illegal for us is hids in cars that don't come with them from factory even with a proper kit, coloured lights other than amber for indicators/hazards, red for stop lights/rear parkers and white/halogen for lowbeam/high/parkers and reverse. also interestingly enough any light mounted 10cm or more below the headlamp is considered a fog light.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I am running HID's in projector housings in my Range Rover, still ****. They still throw light everywhere except the road. The only reason I run them is for visibility to others. Out in the bush they are very visible through trees and light scrub so I am seen by oncoming vehicles. Bikes tend to go fairly quick and if they see bright lights through trees, they tend to slow down. I rarely drive at night so it isn't an issue, and on the road during the day I only have the parkers on which light up the halos that are bright enough anyway.