Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Level 3 Cluster Beeping

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I recently removed my instrument cluster to check the voltage regulator for dry joints and replace the temperature gauge. When I reinstalled everything the car started making intermittent beeping sounds- like the handbrake on warning alarm - when driving forwards. The hand brake light does not come on when this happens.
I pulled the cluster back out and checked the PCB for damage/dry joints- but everything conducts according to a multimeter. Checked the handbrake switch and it's definitely OK.

Anyone have any ideas on what causes this?

If I can't fix it my next step is to remove the chime- as the random, intermittent beeping drives me mad on long country trips.

Comcal76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP v6

Attachments

• trip.jpg
    trip.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks . Does anyone know if the auto gearbox safety switch alignment can trigger a warning chime- posted on the link above :"you are my hero, haha finally fixed the friggin beep! my swicth for my gears wasnt properly alligned so my car thought the hand brake was always on, thankyou! "
I checked the safety switch alignment a few months ago- but I don't recall this chime issue starting just after that.
Maybe the original poster meant the switch on the gearbox for the handbrake- mine seems to be perfect.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Update. I pulled my L3 cluster apart and checked the handbrake warning circuit. There is an intermittent fault in the PCB circuit between the handbrake warning light and the left hand pin in the trip computer connection (circuit 2-9 on the GMH PCB schematic). The PCB conductor strip is cracked with a clear gap where it bends over on the LHS to meet 2 rivets and is held down with black tape.
The original flexible PCB is showing signs of age so I'm rebuilding the cluster with parts from a pretty good L3 VP V6 cluster I found in the shed. The same circuit on the V6 cluster looks and tested good.

Last edited:

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Too bad you can't buy replacement plastic circuit boards any more for these dashes.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Too bad you can't buy replacement plastic circuit boards any more for these dashes.
Even salvageable L3 clusters at a reasonable price are getting hard to find.