Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Level 3 cluster function issues

Shaundy

BMW Technician Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 BT1
Hi all,

I have an issue with the level 3 cluster I installed yesterday. All functions appear to work correctly except for:

-The tacho. It will display the revs however when accelerating in econ mode it with suddenly drop a couple of hundered rpm just before it changes gear, at which point it picks up again to where is should be. When accelerating hard in power mode, the needle will drop back to 0 a couple seconds before the gear change at which point it again springs up to where it should be. Whilst revving the car in park I found the the needle will not make it past 2500rpm before it drops. Has anyone had this issue? I suspect there is a dodgy connection somewhere however I am not sure where to look.

-The distance to empty display. It displayed a number when I had first plugged in the new harness just to test it, however it now simply shows 0 all the time.

-The LCD lights. When I turn my headlights on, the LCD lights go out.

-Speed alert light and buzzer also do not activate when the set speed is exceeded.

Could someone tell me what is the combo of trip buttons that need to be pressed to activate the diagnostic display on the dash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Here you go:

Press MODE and RESET while turning the ignition on (The computer will do a self diagnostic check and display the word 'FAIL' if it finds an internal fault). Press mode to swap between the different displays.

Display 1: Speed in km/h, fuel in L/h, Button Test.

Display 2: Battery Voltage, Fuel tank sender Volts (full ~4.4V, half ~6.6V, empty ~8.5V), Button Test.

Display 3: Energise all segments of the display.

The button test shows a '0' each time a button is pressed. Each different button will illuminate a different spot.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
What loom did you use?

Shaundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 BT1
I'm pretty sure the main loom was out of an executive (as I didn't want to cut mine up in case i stuffed it). The higher loom was out of a Berlina

Shaundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 BT1
Update: The LCDs do light up when the headlights are on however they are probly about half as bright as when the headlights are on. The same situation applies with the parkers. I just didn't notice as I had tested them during the day. My fuel gauge seems to have died and the LCD that works (as I think the others have blown bulbs) seems to only work when it wants to.

Shaundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 BT1
Anyone have any ideas? I filled the tank today and reset the cluster however I still don't have anything reading on the distance to empty display.

Sara Pax

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Wagon and 2007 6 litre Calais V
Get another dash

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Not to hijack your post, but I also have an issue with my instant fuel readout i.e. when its at idle it jumps all around the place usually settling down at 99 l/100k and occasionally flickering to 0. Is it easy to fix/replace parts wise ?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Run the clusters in diag mode - turn on the ignition with the mode & set buttons pressed. Scroll though the 3 modes.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyone have any ideas? I filled the tank today and reset the cluster however I still don't have anything reading on the distance to empty display.

If the DTE is not working the sender is not getting to the gauge or trip computer.