Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Level 3 cluster in vs where to get loom

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
Ok i know theres allot of threads on this but some are confuseing.

Basically i picked up a level 3 cluster for a vr vs and i want to put it in my vs series 2 executive 1996.

Im unsure if i have the plug in it already (doubtfull but who knows) as i fo remeber it haveing the power window plugs and a few other high end plugs in it. (Pretty sure it has a mid or high bcm)

Which plug fo i actually need to make it run correctly? Would dist to empty work?

Ive been told everything would work fine if i was to plug it straight in as it is....just wont have any trip meter. Then ive read it wont work at all....or it will smoke and melt etc

Cheers

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
Oh i should also mention my current cluster needs replaceing as the speedo sticks and so does other guages sometimes

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
You will need a patch lead...They come up on ebay now and again or you can make one by splicing the needed leads/plugs into your current level 2 loom you will find info on how to do that in the tripin thread...The cluster will work if put in without patch loom, but you wont get lcd displays only speed rpm fuel and temp....The reason for patch loom is the level 3 car's had climate control and the bcm controlled a few functions

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Shane on here used to make the patch looms and ship them around Australia but as he's now no longer in the country any more there's no one that makes them commercially any longer, also the demand is no longer there either to do it in any mass level as he did.

As wozza suggested you'll either have to make it yourself and fitting it isn't fun either as it's not that easy...or get another Level 2 cluster and keep it as it is.

I've always been of the opinion from Shane that simply fitting a L3 cluster straight in will create a fireworks show.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've heard you can repair the old clusters if you're a bit handy. I know they do have a bit of sticky speedo needle at times. Mine used to but a tap on the cluster with my hand 6 months ago fixed that.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
I've always been of the opinion from Shane that simply fitting a L3 cluster straight in will create a fireworks show.
Hmmm I asked the question when I did mine...was told it would be fine....Only fireworks issue I know of, is putting a VN/VP one in a VR/VS and visa versa....That said I never tried without the correct loom....