Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Level 3 Cluster upgrade

Pasticheny

Reaction score
ok i know this has probly been covered so can someone please point me in the right direction..
I hav a vs ute with a level 2 cluter in it.. i want a fully working level 3 cluster :) i hav purchased 1 of ebay with loom and trip computer button thingy.. is that all i need? and has anyone done a tutorial on this upgrade? i presume u hav to splice open some wires somewere.. i hav been looking round but cant find it :S

Any help would be appricated
Cheers

Pasticheny

Reaction score
Hey guys.. i did the L3 upgrade today on my ute.. peace of cake.. just 1 problem i hav.. the water temp light stays on.. allways.. and it beeps at me every min or 2.. the temp gauge is at the normal 1/4 tho.. its gonna drive me crazy.. can anyone help? did i mess up 1 wire?

Last edited:

jcs_1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais n 2x vl's one turbo
i was just lookin on ebay n they r sayin the vn/vp 1's r the same is this true? can u use a vn/vp cluster

Pasticheny

Reaction score
im pretty sure vn -vp are the same/interchangeable.. and vr-vs are the same / interchangeable

alajhotrod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Help

Hey guys.. i did the L3 upgrade today on my ute.. peace of cake.. just 1 problem i hav.. the water temp light stays on.. allways.. and it beeps at me every min or 2.. the temp gauge is at the normal 1/4 tho.. its gonna drive me crazy.. can anyone help? did i mess up 1 wire?

Same thing is going on with my VS that i (and you's at Just Commodores)just put in, if its happened to someone else must be fixable. thank you very much for all your help Allan.:banstick:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
i was just lookin on ebay n they r sayin the vn/vp 1's r the same is this true? can u use a vn/vp cluster

Not completely the same - the diffuesers (warning lamps) are different between the VN & VP. You can move the 3 wires needed to fit a VP cluster to a VN (level 3)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride

Have you got the 3 dash plugs up the right way? Double check the green wire (temp wire) Also check the cluster voltage regulator in the cluster - it may have some cracked solder joints.

If all checks out - remove the beeper from the front of the cluster. :)

Pasticheny

Reaction score
Yea I could just cut the beeper wire.. Bit that's the easy way out :p

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea I could just cut the beeper wire.. Bit that's the easy way out :p

No you cant just cut the beeper wire. The beeper is removed by taking it out of the cluster :)

The temp warning light is on becasue the cluster is not getting the correct voltge for some reason (temp gauge working correctly).

I suspect you may have joined the green wire to the wrong green wire in the loom. Check this wire continuity from the 4th plug to C3 #3 on the dash plug.