Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Level Three Trip Computer- Replacement Globes

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hi,
I've got my instrument cluster out and while I'm repairing the sticky gauges I want to replace the Neo Wedge T4 globes in the trip computer, which have started to fail.
Does anyone know of a source of Neo Wedge T4 halogen globes? The halogen globes have lasted 27 years , can be dimmed and aren't polarity sensitive.
I have LED replacements but I don't know of a way of checking they have been installed with the correct polarity other than reassembling the cluster and reinstalling it. I would welcome any advice on an easy way to check LED polarity before I reassemble the cluster.
Thanks

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Test the led before hand and see if they work both ways if not then you will have to test them and hope for the best, if the don't work turn it around.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Test the led before hand and see if they work both ways if not then you will have to test them and hope for the best, if the don't work turn it around.
Thanks for the suggestion Trevor . I just tested them and they are polarized. I'll look at the trip computer & wiring diagrams tomorrow- I might be able to work out the polarity of the mountings using a multimeter on the terminal pins and then install the globes to match. My trip meter and cluster are showing are showing their age- each time I disassemble them more bits of plastic break off-hence my reluctance to just assemble and try.
There's a bloke in the UK sells Lucas neo wedge T4 halogen lamps but I need to contact him re shipping to Australia.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
U don't have to put the surround back in to test, just plug the harness in on the cluster and headlight switch, takes 5sec.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks Trevor. I'll do that today. Looks like non- LED T4 neo wedge's are a thing of the past.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Jaycar used to sell them in halogen but I couldn't find them on line or in their paper catalogue and the Melbourne shop is closed for the holiday. I'll try the LED's I bought for this job a few years ago but never installed. When I get them working I'll mark the polarity on the circuit board.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
U don't have to put the surround back in to test, just plug the harness in on the cluster and headlight switch, takes 5sec.
Thanks for this suggestion. Changed to LED's and tested them as you suggested and they work fine. The positive side of the LED has to contact the sector of the bulb holder closest to the plastic wall with the LCD's facing down. I tested each LED with probes connected to a battery charger and marked +ve with a red texta before installation. This got it 100% right when checked as you suggested.
Dimmer doesn't seem to affect the brightness but I have everything jury rigged as above.
Now I just need to clean up the LCD's a bit. Broken bits of plastic under their cover due to age and contact cleaner has caused a dark edge next to one light where I had to clean up the bulb holder with emery paper and contact cleaner- the old T4 neo wedge globes were nearly welded in. .

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Bad move trying to fix the LCD displays. 10 years ago it was no problem , now the yellowed plastic covers of 2 LCD holders have broken up when I tried to tighten the circuit board contact strip against the LCD edge. They have to be reasonably tight to feed signals into the LCD.
Down to stripping bits out of my last spare instrument console tomorrow.