Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lexcen Turbo Questions

randomhero11

Sicburn
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS
i have a 96 lexcen thats done 212,000 k's. im looking at either a vs turbo kit for it or maybe putting a vr/vs V8 in it. In a lexcen because the only models to come out were V6's is it possible to put a V8 in without and major structural work. And would it be worth dropping a turbo in at 212 without a rebuild. any help would be good thanks,

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Seen a few commodores of this year with LS1's in them.
check it out, if it's legal, don't even think about the V6.

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Because of the model and year you will be able to put in any motor that was made for that particular model or any after..so example:

96 lexcen should be able to have a 304 motor from the VS series and should fit, other than that any LS is legal as it was made after your lexcen..

You may have to upgrade to the VS v8 brakes tho

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Because of the model and year you will be able to put in any motor that was made for that particular model or any after..so example:

96 lexcen should be able to have a 304 motor from the VS series and should fit, other than that any LS is legal as it was made after your lexcen..

You may have to upgrade to the VS v8 brakes tho

Its not quite that simple. There are plenty of rules regarding dropping more powerful and larger displacement engines into models that were not fitted with it from factory.

Of course its do-able and you can get it engineered, but its not just shove in a 5.7L or 6L and its legal.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I thought to able to simply drop it in and drive to vicroads and say "Check engine number please, blah blah" the engine had to be an option for that make/model unfortunatly the V8 was never an option for the Toyota variant, however I hope i'm wrong, would be an awsome Lexan, who'd guess it'd have a V8

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Yer LS1 is out of the first line he was looking at, though I`m always dreaming of one for my VR. why not a L67 if you can find one they go alright with a bit more PSI (standard they are 165kw, the same as a 304 VR/VS). A rebuild is a must if you want to keep it though if you are just in it for a bit of fun and sell it don`t bother.
As for V8`s I beleive you can put one in as they were in the commodore variant and thinking about it the Ford cortina was never meant to have a 302 or 351 jammed in there and that was a green light. (P.S I HATE FORDS:whistling)

woodyotoad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
youl most likly have to go over the pits, but do the conversion then wait till ya get defected or the vehicle gets checked over, have ya fun while it lasts :dance:

randomhero11

Sicburn
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS
yeah. i wouldnt put it on the road unless i could get it regiestered with that motor in it. checking the engine number etc. i only run 3rd party insurance anyways :p. Has anyone rebuilt a VS using a kit? Roughly how much are they and how much time is needed to rebuild it.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
sell the car and buy a v8. cheaper, easier and no hassles .