Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LFX Engine modifications ?

Discussion in 'Mace Engineering' started by salute the ute, Aug 12, 2012.

1. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

I'd need a diagram as to what work is being proposed or some pics before giving an accurate answer.

2. Danthuyer

Danthuyer Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6
    1. To the ppl who filled in the valley behind the throttle body, how much resin/epoxy did you use ? 50ml or so ? also which kind as My local hardware does not stock devcon so is there a more commonly available alternative which would suit this work and remain reliable ? for those interested i found it easier to simply remove the throttle body and cut the plastic out with cutters then carefully use a dremmel to clean up the inside. rather than taking the runner off entirely.

2. Whilst on cheap and easy way to make the donk breather better, what is the hose that is on the right side of the intake pipe just before the throttle body that goes to the back of the head ? I am looking at cleaning up the intake pipe and removing those large cavities before the throttle body.

3. I also noticed oil deposits already inside the runners whilst i was cleaning it up, so the catch can sounds extremely prevalent even on stock engines like you said Steve @ MACE I'm not going to make one but I have ordered one from ebay to fit this week.

3. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Hi Danthuyer,

Thank you for your enquiry:

You can purchase this online from blackwoods.

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/search?q=devcon

Part of the PCV circuit.

Catch can FTW :)

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
    Steve

4. Danthuyer

Danthuyer Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6
    Catch can arrives this week - Steve you mentioned to VS_Pete a while back it would be best to catch oil from both banks ?

I have sen a few people plum the centre pipe in this picture ..... would you be able to highlight for me on this pic where i should plum it into to get best results ?

[​IMG]

5. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
  6. Danthuyer

Danthuyer Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6
    Thanks VS_Pete - I actually had bought the same unit that the guy on the navara forums showed in his DIY post ;) so i copied his baffle model and changed it slightly, however it took me 4 shops to get some stainless steel wool (Black and Gold mini steel wool x3 $1.80) I also found that using a bit of old vacuum hose and placing it over the top of the baffle made for a better seal to make sure the air is directed correctly.

7. Danthuyer

Danthuyer Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6
    Hi Guys - I am back from OS and fitting the catch can this weekend and also trying to fill the dip behind the TB

I am about to order https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/01393038/adhesive-plastic-welder-devcon-28gm as instructed by Blackwoods and IPW however it only comes in a 28gm volume and I would like to confirm how many tubes I need to order to make sure I fill the gap completely to minimise the air flow resistance.

I would assume that 2 x units would be enough but i was thinking of ordering 3 to be sure.

Those who used 2 did you have much left over after your application or not ??

8. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Given the available adhesive quantity, I would say your assessment is accurate.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
    Steve

9. Danthuyer

Danthuyer Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6
    For those who are interested i ended up using 3 units. 2 would do the job however I over filled the valley then grinded it back and then reapplied some more to make a nice smooth surface continuing from the entrance completely over the valley.

10. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Pics....................