Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LFX ignition coils

JakovHard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Ute
One definitely or maybe two of my ignition coils are failing and rather than buy in NZ where we are gouged for parts, I was considering buying from Rock auto in the USA. In the past, I have used them for genuine spark plugs and such, as they ship here quite quickly with no issues.

However, it is hard to determine which US LFX is comparable to the late 16, early 17 commodore ute.

Has anybody here have any idea of an appropriate match? I plan to buy a 6 pack.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Looking at Rock Auto and looking at the prices for LFX coils to suit a 2014 Camaro V6, which aren't exactly the right thing, the prices don't look totally different to this: https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/afi-c9145a-kit

However you may be able to work backwards ... get the parts codes for parts here ... eg. Automotive Superstore lists Bosch BIC360 coils to suit. Then maybe find a Bosch catalogue to find what else is compatible with it, then have a look at likely candidates such as the aforementioned LFX Camaro to see if you get a match on part-numbers for any of the brands? Delco might be a good place to start.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
$400+ for 6 coil over plug :eek: Prices are just crazy:oops:

Such makes the old style oil filled coil bolted to the firewall look like better and cheaper solution. So just get six of these old style coils bolted to the firewall and some new ignition leads with a rewriting of the firing circuit and you‘ll be renowned as a grand bush mechanic :p:p:p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
$400+ for 6 coil over plug :eek: Prices are just crazy:oops:

Such makes the old style oil filled coil bolted to the firewall look like better and cheaper solution. So just get six of these old style coils bolted to the firewall and some new ignition leads with a rewriting of the firing circuit and you‘ll be renowned as a grand bush mechanic :p:p:p
Whereas I thought it was an indication of how car bits had come down overall, given the current inflation in cost of everything ... when I first started considering fitting LS1 coils to the Ovlov they were close to (maybe over?) $100 apiece! I can't recall what I ended-up paying if I'm honest, this was not far off 10 years ago, I think around the $60 or $75 mark (from recollection the discount for 8-at-once wasn't worth it, I considered it so I'd have a full backup set :)).

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
However, it is hard to determine which US LFX is comparable to the late 16, early 17 commodore ute.
Don't believe there to be a difference, as long as they are compatible with the HFV6 LFX Engine, as I think the ignition coils are identical amongst the Global HFV6 family from 2007-2022 (But don't quote me on that as im just a random bloke on the internet :))

red_vxr

Reaction score
Members Ride
(don't have a commodore lel)
Yeah I don't think there's a difference between the US-spec LFX and the Aus-spec LFX, especially when it comes to the ignition coils. You should be fine.

JakovHard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Ute
Another quick question. On the VF2 with the plastic plenum, will I need to remove anything bar the cover to access and replace all 6 ignition coils.

My workshop is busy, so it has been a bit of a slow process getting here, which is still at the "not ordered stage".

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Another quick question. On the VF2 with the plastic plenum, will I need to remove anything bar the cover to access and replace all 6 ignition coils.

My workshop is busy, so it has been a bit of a slow process getting here, which is still at the "not ordered stage".

No need to remove the plenum. You can access the coils are plugs without taking it off. I switched mine out and was a straight forward job.

Looking forward from the drivers seat, the right rear coil (when looking from the bumper, it’s the left bank rear coil) takes some finagling because of the purge solenoid piping and part of the harness, but if you move them around abit the coil will come out without any major surgery