Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lfx to ly7 gearbox

Blakeyd88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Im having problems finding anything that can tell me if i can put a lfx 6 speed auto onto a ly7 motor can anyone help please.. has anyone done it themselves??

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
A LY7 had a 4 Speed Box ?
If so, Might be a PIA to change it.
Probably best to pull a Motor, Trans and the ECU & TCU and put it all in as one,
As they will be matched
Then you only have to worry about the Dash, may need a loom, Dash,
Only if your really keen,

When you do your sums, probably best to change the actual car to one that is ready to roll.

hookalaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 3.6
Im having problems finding anything that can tell me if i can put a lfx 6 speed auto onto a ly7 motor can anyone help please.. has anyone done it themselves??
Yeah I've been contemplating replacing my ve 5 speed series1 with the series 2 6 speed box. But was talked out of it so much stuff u need to change or reflashing ecu etc etc it sucks man wish it was as easy as my Gemini 4 speed to 5 speed box conversion easy peasy works straight away no computer bs.

hookalaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 3.6
A LY7 had a 4 Speed Box ?
If so, Might be a PIA to change it.
Probably best to pull a Motor, Trans and the ECU & TCU and put it all in as one,
As they will be matched
Then you only have to worry about the Dash, may need a loom, Dash,
Only if your really keen,

When you do your sums, probably best to change the actual car to one that is ready to roll.
I've never heard of a ly7 with a 4speed box.?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I am not sure myself, that’s why I asked the question.
I would assume you cannot replace a 4 speed with a 6 speed inc the TCU, but anything is possible I guess.
Possibly will need to replace part of the loom, and see if it will need to marry up with the ECU.
There could be a Trans Guru on JC’s that could throw some light on this.

TBH, I am not sure if it will, or won’t fit, I stayed away from Transmissions, so I can not provide advise, probably best to get hold of some wiring diagrams and try a cross reference.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s a really hard thing. They bolt up fine. They don’t run off the series 1 software.

I’d love to have the 6spd in mine instead of the now twice rebuilt shitty 5spd.

If anyone knows what needs changing hardware and software wise, I too want to know.

hookalaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 3.6
Yep me too the 5 speed boxes are really crap when they age. My ve is off the road at the mo timing chains totally carbon blocked top end. So full rebuild then when thats done the 5speed box is still rooted slipping etc can't win only thing good about my car is the body is a1 condition or I would sell it for scrap and buy a vf