Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LG LCD Tv's, anyone own one?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
The 3 brands i would consider now would be Sony (Bravia), Panasonic or Samsung.

So yeah Markie, Samsung is definantly on the cards as a possibility.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
We have the samsung at home. I love it.

My boss and work mate both went and got the samsung 40 or 42" (not sure)
They went to good guys and got em, and both came with extra **** Eg: dvd player, and my boss scored a bluray player. all for i think about the 1K mark.

and im also going to look for tv soon, (waiting for a ****ing courier to turn up)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I work at Dick Smith, and to me the order in LCD's are:

Sony
Samsung
LG
Sharp
Sanyo
VIVO

As for Plasmas the only ones that are worth it are Panasonic. VIVO is crap here too.

I prefer LCD's myself, it just depends on what you want. But most consumers are buying LCD's these days. And there's the people that can wait until next year to get an LED tv.

Some people say Sony and Samsung use same screen products, not sure how true that is, but if it is then i find Sony still better, probably due to the Bravia Engine (v2).

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
We have the samsung at home. I love it.

My boss and work mate both went and got the samsung 40 or 42" (not sure)
They went to good guys and got em, and both came with extra **** Eg: dvd player, and my boss scored a bluray player. all for i think about the 1K mark.

and im also going to look for tv soon, (waiting for a ****ing courier to turn up)

Blu-ray FTW!!

I work at Dick Smith, and to me the order in LCD's are:

Sony
Samsung
LG
Sharp
Sanyo
VIVO

As for Plasmas the only ones that are worth it are Panasonic. VIVO is crap here too.

I prefer LCD's myself, it just depends on what you want. But most consumers are buying LCD's these days. And there's the people that can wait until next year to get an LED tv.

Some people say Sony and Samsung use same screen products, not sure how true that is, but if it is then i find Sony still better, probably due to the Bravia Engine (v2).

Well i watch alot of free to air and DVD's, so i'd prefer the LCD. Can never get a hold of the Foxtel cos mum, sister and missus are always watching it FFS. Gonna get it hooked up to my room with a seperate box in the next month or so.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Well i watch alot of free to air and DVD's, so i'd prefer the LCD. Can never get a hold of the Foxtel cos mum, sister and missus are always watching it FFS. Gonna get it hooked up to my room with a seperate box in the next month or so.
OK, well, just so you know the LCD wont re-create the true black colours. Plasmas do. However with a plasma you get the heat and energy issues. And half life.

If both get too dim and you can't fix it with the remote. To fix an LCD is about $20-50 cold cathode light at the bottom. For a plasma it's a regassing (cheaper to get a new TV).

LED's solve the only drawback LCD's have and that's the true blacks because they dont use the light bar at the bottom of the screen. So it's the best features of Plasma and LCD all in one! :) And yes, Sony have some LED TV's out already, they look awesome. Just not sure what shops have them yet. I've been told by customers that the Good Guys do?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Yeah i have heard they are available for purchase, but the smallest Sony one available (smaller than 32", i mean around the 20" mark) is around $3000. And the bigger one at the moment is around $9000. Not sure of the size on the big one though.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The big one according to the sony rep will be around the 50" size. Can't remember exactly what he said when he demonstrated the TV's. I should really login to the Sony Tech Centre more often LOL

They are expensive now, but will be cheaper next year and after that. Depends on if someone can wait to get them as to whether it will be worth it.

BTW, never pay retail. Especailly entertainment stuff. I always have to discount to get a sale in the entertainment section on TV's, projectors, blu rays, surround sound systems e.t.c. I try to help the customer out a bit :) Which i guess is why the company makes next to no money from me on big sales.

If you can't wait, then i would definatly suggest LCD's, just shop around, and whatever you do DON'T fall for Vivo if any shops have them that size. They will be the cheapest, but put it next to a Sony or Samsung and you can see exactly how crap they are.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
As for Plasmas the only ones that are worth it are Panasonic.

Go and take a look at the Pioneer plasma's... best picture I have ever seen on any TV in my life... plasma or LCD. I haven't seen any of these LED tv's yet though... I'm very intrigued.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
My family just got a 50 inch (i think) LG tv,

its awsome, very good purchase.

great picture, sleek clean design.

Cant advise getting an LG enough,

i mostly use it for xbox online gaming and watching movies, it definately performs for that stuff
we got it from Good guys, we got a great deal. saved heaps

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Go and take a look at the Pioneer plasma's... best picture I have ever seen on any TV in my life... plasma or LCD. I haven't seen any of these LED tv's yet though... I'm very intrigued.

yeh pioneer are the best , to bad they dont make them anymore