Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

licence suspension

carlton.east

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
hi everyone i dont have my licence at the moment because of epilepsy however i was ment to get it back today..... but i called the department of transport and they said they need a second review on it and i will have to wait, (without giving me a time frame). this sucks ive been off the road for over 9 months and just want to drive and drive lol, i really got my hopes up today .

so i wanted to know if anyone else has been in this position before or currently and how long did you have to wait ?

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
DOT over here in WA are bloody useless. Took me 5 months to get my license back after my bike crash in 2009 all because they spent 4 months chasing their tales in a circle.

Sorry man, im no help really :(

ssv 08 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss-v 2008 ute
Had a close friend years ago who was definatly an epileptic....
Grand mal seizures i think they called them.
He had brain surgery and went on medication.
From memory i think it was 9 months without a turn to qualify for a licence/
Pretty sure he waited over a year before he finally got to go for a licence

carlton.east

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
it better not take that long lol i will be calling them everyday pushing them along lol they aint going to stand in my way of driving again, i will even get on to my doctor and get him to sort it lol

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hi everyone i dont have my licence at the moment because of epilepsy however i was ment to get it back today..... but i called the department of transport and they said they need a second review on it and i will have to wait, (without giving me a time frame). this sucks ive been off the road for over 9 months and just want to drive and drive lol, i really got my hopes up today .

so i wanted to know if anyone else has been in this position before or currently and how long did you have to wait ?

Mate Id be contacting your doctor about it,get a letter from him saying your ok to drive,and then Id take this letter to my local MP and talk to him about it.I had problems getting my licence back whilst paying off a debt to the state debt recovery office here in NSW.My licence was cancelled because of this debt.I was paying off the debt and wasnt allowed to apply for my licence again until it was fully paid.I had asked them previously if they would waive the ban whilst I was paying off the debt,and they wrote back saying that there was no way they would lift the ban whilst the debt was still outstanding,even though it was getting paid off.Then I had a job offer, but needed a drivers licence to to do the work,so I took a letter from my potential employer stating about the job offer etc,to my local MP, and got him to write a letter to again ask the state debt office to waive the RTA ban whilst I was paying off the debt so I could get the job.The debt was $8000 so it wasnt a small sum.It took a few weeks ,but I got a letter back from the RTA saying that the sanction had been lifted and I was right to go get my licence back.The point Im getting at though is these local MP's have got a bit of pull when it comes to these matters and it might be worth contacting your local MP if you do no good anywhere else...

carlton.east

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Mate Id be contacting your doctor about it,get a letter from him saying your ok to drive,and then Id take this letter to my local MP and talk to him about it.I had problems getting my licence back whilst paying off a debt to the state debt recovery office here in NSW.My licence was cancelled because of this debt.I was paying off the debt and wasnt allowed to apply for my licence again until it was fully paid.I had asked them previously if they would waive the ban whilst I was paying off the debt,and they wrote back saying that there was no way they would lift the ban whilst the debt was still outstanding,even though it was getting paid off.Then I had a job offer, but needed a drivers licence to to do the work,so I took a letter from my potential employer stating about the job offer etc,to my local MP, and got him to write a letter to again ask the state debt office to waive the RTA ban whilst I was paying off the debt so I could get the job.The debt was $8000 so it wasnt a small sum.It took a few weeks ,but I got a letter back from the RTA saying that the sanction had been lifted and I was right to go get my licence back.The point Im getting at though is these local MP's have got a bit of pull when it comes to these matters and it might be worth contacting your local MP if you do no good anywhere else...

yeh my neurologist already sent the medical assement form off to the d.o.t and they are saying they need to call and talk to him about it, i think its total bull. im in the same boat with debts. im paying for my car thats been sitting there for 9 months when i need it for work to make more money. the law sucks :(

ssv 08 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss-v 2008 ute
Im afraid you can hound the doctors all you want but they arent going to clear you unless there 100% sure you wont have another seizure.
Should the worst happen and you relapse while driving and hurt or kill some1 they open to massive law suits.
The law is there to protect all road users....all be it the system does have its problems

I can understand your frustration tho...hopefully it'll not be much longer

carlton.east

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
oh of course, no one understands that more then me i dont want to kill myself of anyone else howeven my neurologist said hes satisfied with my condition its just the d.o.t draging they feet

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
no ones 100% clear of having a fit.. anyone of you's could drop and have one out of the blue.....

i had one out of the blue when were 21, never had a fit in my life, were driving to work down the hwy , happy as with me cigi and ice breaka ;) ..... seen a vu ute in rear view mirror and had a day-zar-view thingy, then woke up and were 100mtrs in the bush with ambo's screaming at me ' what drugs ya on, what drugs ya on'... i looked up and seen the windscreen all shattered, i said 'what the fark' and blacked out again then woke up in hospital.......... then went and seen my car :(

but yes ^^^^ it is hard to find a doc with the balls to say 'your all clear'...
actually-its hard to find a doc that gives 2shits about anything..

Last edited:

carlton.east

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
wow thats some story, i wouldnt like that however my epilepsy stems from having a brain hemmarage and that left damaged cells and scaring. when i have a seizure i know its coming on because i see flashing lights ( its in the optical part of my brain ) so i get about 30 seconds warning and the doctors says thats good.