Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EQFish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Executive V6 Auto
What are people's experience on the lifespan of their VT parts in kms, assuming it's from the factory, DFI modules, Coils, Fuel pump, Belt Tensioners, steering pump etc?

I'm guessing by the 200,000km mark pretty much all sensors would have been replaced, and potentially the coils and DFI and leads a few times...

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
150k to 250k. 200k is about when everything lets go.

Replace everything.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
There isn't a formula for any of these parts.
I know plenty of these models with 300km+ that are still on original fuel pumps, coils, DFIs and engine sensors. Steering pumps will seep, but if you aren't worried about that they will usually last.

The soft parts (containing rubber, rotating bits etc) I'd estimate to start dying between 150-200km.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I know plenty of these models with 300km+ that are still on original fuel pumps, coils, DFIs and engine sensors. Steering pumps will seep, but if you aren't worried about that they will usually last.

Can also say this is my experience. The VS I had was approaching 280k km before it got written off and majority of these hadn't been replaced in it's lifetime. There's not much of a pattern when it comes to failure of components like this. Key is really to just keep an eye on maintenance and be on the look out for potential issues, usually there will be symptoms first. Very few failures of these will leave you completely stranded.

Having said that, the heater tap is a good one that should probably be replaced if it's never been done before.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
540000+km on mine I'm the 2nd owner has had 1 idler pulley and belt a front wheel bearing sway bar link pins caster rod bushes driveshaft centre bearing 1 o2 sensor and a heater tap haha everything else is original

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
400,000km all parts genuine
3x sets of pads and rotors
egr valve
2x lim gaskets
4x batteries
1x oil pressure switch
1x power/economy switch
2x stabilizer bushes/links
1x castor bushes
1x engine mounts
1x drivers seatbelt
1x radiator
3x electric aerial stalks
1 set pulleys
2x serpentine belts
1x low speed fan
1x indicator stalk
1x water pump

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
i've had to replace most of the sensors on the engine, not because they stopped working, but the seals were shot and caused a ton of vacuum leaks.

kX6QvSR.jpg

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
How long is a piece of string?
Its man made so could last 400,000k's or last 50,000k's, replace parts when the fault codes display or for peace of mind just do it and you know its done but still no guarantee it will fail. As the saying goes if it ant broke don't fix it.
Just keep up with regular services and you be a ok.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
What are people's experience on the lifespan of their VT parts in kms, assuming it's from the factory, DFI modules, Coils, Fuel pump, Belt Tensioners, steering pump etc?

I'm guessing by the 200,000km mark pretty much all sensors would have been replaced, and potentially the coils and DFI and leads a few times...

Got 340,000 out of my DFI module. Slightly less on one coil pack. Others were fine but replaced all 3.

Never replaced a TPS, IAC, IAT, nothing, in 340,000km.

But the never thrashed trans ruptured its' guts around 160k, tailshaft bearings at about 240k. Oh and it dropped a valve (busted collet) around 240k but I'm yet to take the heads off to see what damaged that may have caused. Didn't bend the valve and was a relatively minor fix.

Factory intake manifold gaskets gave out around 320k and I started having overheating issues so at 360k I pulled the engine out and swapped in a rebuilt motor. If I wanted to do the cheapest possible fix I could've just done the gaskets and a couple oil leaks but it'd lost its zip and had oil leaks and I'd rather just do everything in one go.

Original ABS module. Original PS pump. Original fuel pump swapped out still working at around 290-300k roughly. Original belt tensioner but I think it's starting to go.

Worst thing was the S1 build quality rust issues. Rear window and bottom rear corner of the doors. First found rust at 4 years. Mostly fixed now, the rest before next winter.

Car's a freak. I'll die before it does.

VT Series 1 9ç1 factory optioned built 12/98. 2nd owner. Purchased 2000 with 46k on the clock.

And people wonder why I laugh at them when they ask, "Why don't you get a new car?".

New car. Pffft.

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
Things only really replacing when they show signs of failure. Otherwise you're just throwing money away.

Otherwise for all other things, follow the log book as a guide for when to replace what.