Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifespan of VZ Battery

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Hey guys.

Parked the VZ outside last night and wouldn't start this morning. Lights worked. radio didn't lose its pin but lost its memory as it was trying to play the first track over and over. Car didn't even crank over, just heard a clicking sound.

Initially I thought the starter motor or coil was shot, but when I realised the radio lost its memory then I had a feeling it was the battery.

The battery is almost 4 years old; its the original the car had. Does a 4 year life span sound about right?

I'm getting an overnight battery test done at a local mechanic tonight so should know conclusively. Im thinking a Century or Exide as a replacement, any better brands?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I replaced mine when I got my car because I could tell it was giving up the ghost.

I suspect it was the original battery that came with the car in 2004, so yeah about 4 years.

They are just the same as any other car battery, generally you can expect 3 years out of battery, some will last up to 5 if they are good. I find myself buying Bosch batteries these days, had only good experiences with them so far. They come with a 3 year warranty.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
the 05 VZ got a newie last year - so 3 years is about right

tanner892

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV M6
i replaced mine at about 3.5 years so yeah 4 is good

Tuttle

stupidity reigns supreme!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I had troubles with mine and when i got the RAA out the guy told me that they usually have about 3 years on them but mine was 4 years. told me that he wouldnt be surprised if i started having more problems.

Put it on a slow trickle charger over night, i found that helped and might make the battery last a bit longer

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Wow.. the exact same thing happened to me at work on Satruday. The lights/radio/windows were just working, but the car wouldn't turn over.

I manged to get the car started with the help of some jumper leads.. Now the strange thing is the car has been fine since, and I've started it fine numerous times.

Would you think my battery is on it's way out?

I finish work at 10pm tonight, and am hoping it doesn't do the same thing again lol.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Most batteries say they are good for about 3 years.
Also with the VZs (and i guess maybe other newer commodores) apparently if you leave them unlocked it slowly drains the battery. Mum's VZ always used to keep going flat if she didn't drive it for a week or so, even with a new battery. She was told to make sure she kept it locked in the garage and hasn't had the problem again.

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
my car was fine till i went down south. the next day the battery died(after giving somoene heaps bout there battery woes hahahahaha)
cant go wrong with century battery.but coudnt get one. so went with one that had the most cranking amps.the old battery was still the original so not bad run 3.5-4yrs.and like you Bullitt i had no warnings nufn... fine one day dead the next.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
id go supercharge gold or an ac delco, holden usually sell the ac delco, pretty good price for the quality,

the super charge is about the most powerfull in its class (before someone says it, yellow top is not in its class) at 600cca and 105rc, model number: MF53