Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter noise (Ticking) SSZ 12

Janszy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sports Wagon
I have just recently purchased a near new SS Z series UTE May 2012 2000km on the clock. A day after I picked it up I noticed a ticking noise from the engine. Sounded to me like lifter tapping noise like my old VH used to make. First i thought is was just doing it when it was cold but I noticed that it did all the time. Seems to get louder as the engine gets hotter. I doesn't do it when i first start it. I spoke to Holden and booked it in for them to have a look at and they said that they compared it to four other cars and they all made the same noise..... They said it's a normal engine sound..... Im not quite sure what to think atm. Just don't want anything to eventuate in the future.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
post a video of the issue. Lifter tick is common with these engines and is not considered normal.

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Take it to another Dealer and get a second opinion.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Wouldn't be shocked if this was an SIDI engine as a lot of people have mentioned having loud injector tick etc.

If you can post a video, I'll be happy to compare to my SS as best I can :)

Can't say I've noticed my engine being louder then expected BUT, if you're coming from an older car you will find the injector tick etc are louder in the more modern motors for some reason.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I replaced serveral injectors in my previous SSV due to what I beleived was excessive injector ticking noise. I used genuine injectors and did not notice much of a difference. Some other brands might be quieter...

My SIDI LFX engine has an injector pulse tick. It's not that noticable and nothing like my SSV had...

Good luck with it.

Grumpyoldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS-V Z Sedan Perfect Blue
My brand new SSV Z has ticking noises but its just the injectors ticking.

Janszy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sports Wagon
Thx for the the help guys. Yeah prob should get a second opinion.
Ill try and get a short vid up soon. Thx again.