Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lifter noise?

metalfossil

Reaction score
I have a 2009 (dec build) VE SS (AFM).

She has done 98,000 ks and has just started making a clicking noise at idle and at speed, although I'm not sure if it clicks away whilst freeway driving as I am unable to hear it. It makes this noise when hot and cold. Forgot to mention that whilst it clicks at idle, she doesn't click when coasting....

I wonder can anyone on here recommend a reliable place in Melbourne (western suburbs or brunswick area)where I could take her to find out just how much this is going to cost me?

Thanks for listening

Last edited:

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
What sort of oil do you use ? Mineral - Semi synthetic or full synthetic ? Have you changed the type of oil you use oil recently ?

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Are you sure it's not just injector tick? I've found most modern cars to have a rather loud injector tick which at times makes you question as to whether something is wrong... Especially in a high performance type car.

metalfossil

Reaction score
What sort of oil do you use ? Mineral - Semi synthetic or full synthetic ? Have you changed the type of oil you use oil recently ?

thanks for replying stirringaxe.

Strange that you mention the oil, as it did starting making the noise after her last service. I wonder did my mechanic change the type of oil, what should I be asking him?

metalfossil

Reaction score
thanks for replying swingn_wasabi,
how does one go about telling the difference between the two?

Grumpyoldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS-V Z Sedan Perfect Blue
My new SSV Z has ticked since day one but its just injector tick. It is quite loud when the engine is as idle.

metalfossil

Reaction score
Grumpyoldb, heck if it is as noisy as mine, I'm wondering why you would want to put up with that is a new car?
Which leaves me wondering, if it is lifter noise or injector noise, will it cause damage driving it until I can get it looked at professionally?

Grumpyoldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS-V Z Sedan Perfect Blue
Maybe try to compare the noise with someone elses new V8 engine? My car is one week old and has the injector tick. It had 8 klms on the clock when i picked it up and was ticking when they started it at the dealers. The demo SSV I drove also had the same ticking noise which I asked about and was told its injector tick.

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would be asking the mechanic what oil he used. If it is lifter noise & not injector noise make sure you use the correct rated fully synthetic oil.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
As stated, find out what oil has been put in(if not what you usually use) Mine did the same after it had a service, and oil type changed. Have since changed to another brand, and all normal now.