Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter replacement LS1

Hambo24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hey guys, looks like one of the lifters on my SS is on its way out in a big way. Only option now is a lifter replacement (going for a full set). I'm assuming the mechanic is going for OEM lifters.
Thought I'd throw up a quick post here before work gets under way in case anyone had any tips while this work is being done. I've heard many people going for LS7 lifters over stock. Is this a worthwhile option? considering parts and labour is already quoted at $2200 :'(

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
is that $2200 just in labour, gaskets, coolant, head bolts and lifters?

seems a bit steep

Last edited:

Hambo24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Yep. That's it.
Seemed a bit rich to me too. I've heard of the same work being done for as little as $1400.
Living out of a big city though; options are pretty thin. Might be worth getting some quotes from a couple of other places?

Hambo24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
They said a bulk of that is labour (they quoted 19 hrs for the job). Bit of an overestimation?

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
seems very high, that is 2.5 days just to take heads off and on.

it is a decent job, but i wouldn't of thought that many hours. a solid day-day and half at best

i'd be getting another price from elsewhere, i would expect around the $1500 give or take

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Geez..i got a new cam, lifters, oils/gaskets and all other parts etc that is required for the job inc labour for $3500 a few years ago...seems alot for just lifters???

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Yep. That's it.
Seemed a bit rich to me too. I've heard of the same work being done for as little as $1400.
Living out of a big city though; options are pretty thin. Might be worth getting some quotes from a couple of other places?

even if you paid $500 to have the car towed to the nearest city you'd be ahead!

Are you sure they aren't throwing in a cam and tune at the same time?

Hambo24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
$2200 is just for parts and labour for the lifter replacement. I knew it was on the steeper side but not by that much..

The guys there don't seem to know much about LS engines. I took it there because they do do tuning and the owner has a few hotrods. So I figured it'd be in knowledgeable hands. The weren't sure if the heads had to come off to get to the lifters in the first place and talking to one guy on the phone he said (depending on the engine number (??)) that the head gasket set can cost around $1000 which seemed ridiculous..

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
OEM head gasket kits (all the top end gaskets) are $400 retail. OEM lifters to performance lifters range from $200-$400 retail. Sounds like he's well over-quoted labour because he's not familiar with the LS.