Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lifter suicide?

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
vr 5 litre wagon...

today my engine oil light came on briefly so i pulled over and checked that the oil level was ok. The level was all good so i started the car again and the light was gone.

I got about 5 min down the road and put my foot into it a little bit to merge with some highway traffic and all i seen was blue smoke out the back window. There was also a rattling noise sounds mainly from the top end.
There has been a noisy lifter for a while now but only when the rpms build up. I serviced the car about 3 weeks ago - flushed the old oil and put lifter quietner in with the new oil to see if this would help but to no avail.

Could the noisy lifter have snapped and this would be the cause of the noise and would this also cause the blue smoke?? The car is sitting waiting to be fixed and not getting driven but i just wanted to know if it was the lifter so i could start pulling it down to fix it.

I also thought of the oil pump playing a part in this because its been having slow oil pick up lately in the mornings only maybe be the cold maybe not but i hope lifter is the cause has anyone else had this problem??

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i doubt a lifter will cause the smoke

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you have blue smoke, you have oil in at least one combustion chamber. I don't know about your car but if you are running some more boost you might have a damaged piston (just a guess)