Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter tick

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Almost seems like many dealers simply try and push the problem forward hoping it no longer becomes a lowly paid warranty job and instead transforms to a higher charged customer repair job.

It's more about audit compliance with warranty guidelines. Given that GMH has issued several bulletins about how certain noises are normal or not cause for concern in the LS series of engines, dealers are required to follow these guidelines. I liked warranty work, the profit wasn't huge but it was good constant work with no arguments over how it's being paid for.

On the other hand warranty audits can work out expensive for dealers if they're not properly complying (I know of one dealer that had a 7-figure chargeback amount).

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Wow compared to yours i have nothing to worry about .
Yes if yours is quieter than mine then you are fine. I think mine is noisy from the piston slap that is well known across the LS engines. Bad lifters are generally noisier and continue to be post warm up.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Whatever the issue, it's typical for a dealer to say it's normal even when most normal people would consider it a problem that needs to be fixed.

Almost seems like many dealers simply try and push the problem forward hoping it no longer becomes a lowly paid warranty job and instead transforms to a higher charged customer repair job.

Yes, exactly what I though, that's why I mentioned it a few times,
Only to received the same answer each time, they just don't know who they are dealing with, and treat the customer like a dummy, it's usual saying, "if you can't dazzle them brilliance, baffle them with Bull"
Now it's a cost for me to bare, maybe that is the cause I haven't returned to the dealer,
I guess that could be the reason that some regular customers don't wish to return, they are only shooting them selves in the foot.
I guess there is an up side, you save a heap of money where you would gladly part with you hard earned cash to have it serviced by a dealer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Wayne001 the valve lifter oil filter is located under the oil pressure sensor which is on the passenger side rear of the engine block and partly under the air intake maniflod. It's somewhat described in a PDF of the VF/WM HSV Workshop manual. Supposedly its a real bugger to get to it.
@Wayne001 post#9 of this thread has a link to a PDF of the VF/WN and HSV workshop manual. It’s not complete and the links within the doc don’t work as they should but it’s better than nothing. Worth downloading and keeping as a reference.

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Thanks guys , if i get the AFM disabled will it make my lifters last longer ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
AFM needs really clean oil for the system to work correctly and not have problems. It’s much like BMW X5 needs really clean oil or their VANOS system dies and which results is one expensive repaire.

Disabling AFM in software will not change the need for clean oil and it will not resolve and mechanical deficiencies that already exist.

I did see a video on YouTube that had a cheap method to attempt to free a stuck AFM lifter without needing to take off the heads but that was on I think a Chevy suburban V8 which does not use L77. Tried finding that video,again but no luck with my quick search.

I believe the reason people remove their AFM hardware if because they install a new CAM with a more aggressive lift profile and even non AFM lifters, pushrods and rockers need upgrade with a more aggressive CAM. Maybe i’m wrong but to me it seems pointless to remove AFM in software if your not also upgrading your CAM, lifters, pushrods and rockers. Don’t see the gain.

No doubt if I’m wrong, others will correct my view.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
if i get the AFM disabled will it make my lifters last longer ?

As @Skylarking says, if there is already damage, turning AFM off won't change that damage.

Having a manual L77 which doesn't have AFM turned on, I wonder if I will suffer AFM lifter issues. I'm yet to find any info either way.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As for disabling AFM, you have to take into consideration, the 4 AFM pots have a different compression ratios, to the NON AFM 4 pots, and the Cam Lobes are also different for the DOD Lifters, to provide the different DOD compression.
So its not just a simple case of Turning it off with the software,
because it will still operate with lower compression on the AFM pots in V8 Mode, and wont make any difference with power..
To do it properly, there is a lot of hardware involved to be replaced.
As for disabling AFM, the DOD Lifters will probably will not last longer, being they are a lot different to the non DOD Lifters

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi all i have a 2013 vf calais with the l77 in it , i change the oil every 5000klm with penrite 5w-30 full synthetic it has done 82000km. I have noticed that i am starting to get a lifter tick and the oil change was done only 1000klm ago , is this a common thing to happen could i have a gunked up lifter already ? It is a AFM motor aswell .
Unless you have a mechanicle issue, it is the penrite oil. I was a penrite consumer for 10 years and understand the charactoristics of the oil well. I have applied the pen f/sin in the LS and changed brands, to mobile 1 5w 50 being suited to the temperatures l opperate the car in and have continued with it for 3 years now and wont be changing back.