Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter tick

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
So far it is only a slight tick just dont want it getting any louder , it does get looked after with nothing but the best put in it . I was thinking of getting the AFM turned off to prolong the lifter issues these have but that sounds like it will not work . As for putting another cam in at this point i realy can not be bothered at the moment in my life . I am realy happy with my car and the power suits me .

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
So far it is only a slight tick just dont want it getting any louder , it does get looked after with nothing but the best put in it . I was thinking of getting the AFM turned off to prolong the lifter issues these have but that sounds like it will not work . As for putting another cam in at this point i realy can not be bothered at the moment in my life . I am realy happy with my car and the power suits me .

I think you would be wise to "not fix something that isn't broke" !

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So far it is only a slight tick just don’t want it getting any louder, it does get looked after with nothing but the best put in it....
If the sound is only there when the engine is cold it doesn’t sound like you have a mechanical problem. So to paraphrase @krusing, don’t fix what isn’t broke.

But if the slight tick doesn’t go away once the engine has warmed, or exists throughout the rev range, something isn’t 100% and needs to be looked into.

In any case, it may be worth a simple oil dump and a change of oil brand as suggested by @gohrdrgomad. If that doesn’t help, consider whether cleaning or changing the dod lifter oil filter is worth the effort but also consider low oil pressure as being a possible cause.

On the oils side, I know that different brands of oils use different detergents/additives at different levels and though price is a good indicator of quality, nothing is certain when truth in advertising is a hope rather than a requirement. But as us normal people don’t have a day job in engineering oil additives, we have no way of knowing what the is best other then marketing (and marketers wouldn’t lie would they :rolleyes:) So putting in the best is admirable but who’s to say what which brand and type of oil is the best for a given application. Best insurance is to change the oil and filter frequently but never leave the oils in for the length of the manufacturer specified kms.

But to finish off and put lifter noise into perspective, have a look at this cheap AFM collapsed lifter fix video as it should give you an idea what a collapsed lifter sounds like. Also have a look at guys related DOD delete videos as they describe the issue in more detail where he shows the problem with the AFM lifter itself. This may probably make you feel more comfortable with a slight tick you have, especially if it goes away once the engine is warm. Flowing from these videos, you should stumble on some related videos describing low oil pressure being the cause of lifter noise where the underlying issue is an air leak past the oil pump inlet tube o-ring which can be nicked on factory assembly and fail years later. Food for thought :p

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Going by that and some if his other videos / comments, am I right in saying that if the lifters are OK and AFM / DOD is turned off in the tune, then it is unlikely that the lifter(s) will collapse ?
The AFM lifters can jam when they are commanded to compress which most then refer to it as a collapsed lifter. End result is the valve will not operate and the pushrod simply taps away at the rocker as it bounces off the collapsed AFM lifter. Once the collapsed AFM lifter is freed up, using his not 100% reliable method, it shouldn’t happen again if the AFM system is disabled in software.

So yes, that’s a good take on the video.

Doubt @Wayne001 lifter noise is anything like the noise heard in the video... if it it, he probably shouldn’t drive the car until he fixes it o_O

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Cheers , mine is nothing like the video , i will try the oil change and see were it gets me .

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Cheers , mine is nothing like the video , i will try the oil change and see were it gets me .

Have you got a video of yours, from the engine bay perspective ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Wayne001 i’d like to have a listen also :) you know, to learn o_O

PS: oil brand change also?