Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifter tick

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sorry @Smashfist, I’m sure you knew about that issue. I just wanted to emphasise and make it clear to the OP that such things were discussed in the link. Probably didn’t come across as I intended.

Cheers.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Oh fair enough. I found a pic of the secondary valve just in case anyone's interested.

556379d1478369663-what-inside-my-oil-pan-9f85ee35.jpg

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Cheers, is this mesh filter a pain to get at ?

Last edited:

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
He is what my Tractor sounds like on cold startup. 19,700KMS on the clock. Pretty much goes away when at operating temp which takes about 5 mins or so. Not sure what to think about it.

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
He is what my Tractor sounds like on cold startup. 19,700KMS on the clock. Pretty much goes away when at operating temp which takes about 5 mins or so. Not sure what to think about it.
Wow compared to yours i have nothing to worry about .

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
My L77 very gradually became a bit noisier somewhere around the same km's as yours +/- 15k. Now has done 155k and never got worse.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I also have the lifter noise in my L77, I did mention it to Holden a couple of times when I got it serviced,
and they said its normal for AFM do that.
So I haven't bothered, but its a bit worse now, Its not so prominent if you take the engine cover off, but you can still hear it.
Worse in the mornings, when you just leave home, and when moving off with the traffic, quieten downs when it gets up to temp tho.
I had a mate of mine that worked at a Dealer years ago, [will remain nameless] and he said, sometimes you may have to put a litre of gear oil in, to thicken it up a bit, he said it wont harm it, just shuts the clatter up.

I did purchase a Stethoscope from Supercheap, and listened carefully, have put it down to one of the either DOD cylinder on the drivers side.
I figure, best I just get a new set of Lifters.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Wayne001 the valve lifter oil filter is located under the oil pressure sensor which is on the passenger side rear of the engine block and partly under the air intake maniflod. It's somewhat described in a PDF of the VF/WM HSV Workshop manual. Supposedly its a real bugger to get to it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
.... I did mention it to Holden a couple of times when I got it serviced,
and they said its normal for AFM do that....
Whatever the issue, it's typical for a dealer to say it's normal even when most normal people would consider it a problem that needs to be fixed.

Almost seems like many dealers simply try and push the problem forward hoping it no longer becomes a lowly paid warranty job and instead transforms to a higher charged customer repair job.