Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifters

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss thunder Ute l98 6-speed 6ltr
As abit of research is telling me my l98 6ltr engine in my thunder Ute is decent the lifters keep popping up as a weakness so was wandering if anyone had suggestions on roller? Or something that would make a difference?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
As abit of research is telling me my l98 6ltr engine in my thunder Ute is decent the lifters keep popping up as a weakness so was wandering if anyone had suggestions on roller? Or something that would make a difference?

What do you mean by suggestions on roller ? The LS engines come standard fitted with roller lifters
A common recommendation is to have them replaced after the engine has done 100,000km's as a safety measure
GM LS7 lifters (and new lifter buckets) are the go to replacement lifters for the LS engine nowadays, or if your budget allows you can upgrade to a set of Tie Bar lifters....Tie Bar lifters also do away with the need for the plastic lifter buckets

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks I might look into the tie rods, I know there cost abit more at roughly $700 for parts but probly better performance wise, any other suggestions before I get them done and a mafless tune ie. throttle body?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Not sure if you're aware of this, but to change lifters on the LS motors you have to take the heads off
So you will need at a minimum:
# Lifters....
Tie Bar Lifters can be bought for around $600
LS7 (standard style) Replacements can be bought for around $250
# Lifter Buckets
# Head Gaskets
# Head Bolts
# New Coolant
You might also need:
# Rocker cover Gaskets....If they're not in reusable condition
# Inlet Manifold Gaskets....If they're not in reusable condition

You can also buy these kits for under $600 that come with standard lifters and lifter buckets:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-...es/132197230539?hash=item1ec791a7cb:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chev-LS...h=item1ee1b334e0:g:~0EAAOSwQhFbTnZo:rk:3:pf:0

The standard Throttle Body on these engines work fine, so replacing it (unless it's stuffed) is money that could be spent elsewhere

You also mentioned that you want to get it tuned
Personally....If I was taking the heads off my motor to replace the lifters, I'd put a cam in it at the same time and then get it tuned

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is why I joined forums, I probly sound like an idiot with these questions but I got to learn somewhere, so that all makes sense, obviously I didn’t think of that, when I bought the Ute I was told it had a cam in it but I wouldn’t be able to tell without taking head off would I? I’m on my way now to try and find someone to change my control z bar bushes, it looks easy enough to do but I don’t have tools and I would prefer to learn this stuff to save money I could be getting other things for it but maybe it’s a confidence thing being I don’t want to f*** my pride and joy I worked so hard to save for

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
This is why I joined forums, I probly sound like an idiot with these questions but I got to learn somewhere,

You don't sound like an idiot....An idiot would have gone off and done the job without gaining any knowledge and would have f@#ked it up
At the end of the day, every single member of this forum started out as a complete car novice
I've always remembered what an old mechanic said to me years ago:
There's no such thing as a stupid question young fella....Just a stupid mistake made because you didn't ask the question

when I bought the Ute I was told it had a cam in it but I wouldn’t be able to tell without taking head off would I?

You don't need to take the heads off to remove the cam
Most, if not all the aftermarket cam manufacturers nowadays put the part number on the end of their cams, and with the LS it's the end that's at the back of the engine when installed, so there is no easy way to see what it is except to remove it