Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Light modding my stock VZ

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
Hey all,

I have a few questions.

1. What would I exactly need to upgrade to get better stability in my VZ Exc around corners, my old VX used to handle them very well.

2. What are the absolute best brake pads I can get in my exc without getting the HSV Brake Package? (ebay linky or similar would be fantastic)

3. Would it help if I got the 2 bars that go across the motor and the one in the boot? (i'm sorry, i'm not so good with the lingo, they are strut bars?)

Thanks heaps

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
1. upgrade your suspension to FE2 suspension or after market brands, king springs lovell pedders etc.

2. dunno

3. yeap its called a strut brace, you can get a front one from holden for about $50.,. rear you would have to go after market

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
1. Reduce your speed and drive a little slower, you can still negotiate the corners and better still have a greater chance of avoiding a collision worst of all resuylting in the death of an innocent party.

2. By adhering to the recommendations in #1 you'll find that you no longer have to brake as hard as previously. The standard brakes will do the job admirably.

3. Engine bay strut bar can contribute to stabilising the strut towers and maintain front wheel alignment. As for the rear, don't know, perhaps by modifying your driving style you won't need one.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
1. Reduce your speed and drive a little slower, you can still negotiate the corners and better still have a greater chance of avoiding a collision worst of all resuylting in the death of an innocent party.

2. By adhering to the recommendations in #1 you'll find that you no longer have to brake as hard as previously. The standard brakes will do the job admirably.

3. Engine bay strut bar can contribute to stabilising the strut towers and maintain front wheel alignment. As for the rear, don't know, perhaps by modifying your driving style you won't need one.

thats is the gayest s**t i have ever heard, he didnt ask for your opinion on his driving style,

Last edited:

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
lol naf33n, love it mate. Some people can be absolute self righteous twats eh?

From what I hear mate, DBA discs and greenstuff brake pads are a good combination. The pads do produce a fair bit more dust than normal pads so cleaning your rims will become a bit more regular.

As for the strut brace, I and many others here have the factory jobbie from Holden spare parts. Cost is about $50 and DIY install job (2 bolts on each tower, 5 min job).

Not sure about suspension though, as I have the SV6 I am happy with the FE2 for all intents and purposes my driving style currently affords me, so I don't see the need to change it as yet :)

Good luck dude.

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec

wanker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back on topic, Do those strut braces make a big diff. 50 bux sounds like a bargain!

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm

Thats just silly :bang:

Firstly I have a rule, I dont follow the pack, If it's a 60 zone i go 60 "if i can", If i can't I wont pressure the individual in front of me to go faster or I simple take a different road, anyway I didn't ask a question about driving style. In your answer to my question 2, the pads that I currently have on the car are very bad and don't really like to grip very well in any condition and any speed.

I really appreciate the replies, I was sort of after a type of brake pad that is low dust but I guess you can't have both. :D

as for the FE2 suspension, I would need to replace the wheels wouldn't I ? and how much would it be to get FE2 installed?

Thank you

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
no need to change wheels, although goin with a wider wheel will increase your grip,

fe2 is just a firmer shock and spring over standard

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
would sugets upgrading your sway bar bushes etc to a nolathane type bushing.
Brake try DBA 4000 rotors and some bendix ultimate (they are good pads but they emit a bit of dust, water and soap on a weekly basis will fix that)
or you could go extree to dba 5000 or CSC brakes, Apracing etc

depends on yoru budget comes down to the old saying. how long is a piece of string ......