Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lighten flywheel on V8 ?

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
hey guys

wondering if anybody has installed/fitted a Lighter flywheel ?
and what the results were..

better engine response... ?
better response in down gearing / heel and toe ?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
a lighter flywheel will give slightly better engine response, but sacrifice some ability to hold revs on uneven roads. In other words you you may not like it if you drive on long stretches of hwy that happens to have even little hills (like from Sydney to Canberra... engine will hunt gears more trying to keep speed up), but you may like it if all you do is more suburban driving, where the better response will be more noticeable off the line. Basically the weight of the flywheel helps 'iron out' peaks and troughs in the road.

my advice is dont do it and spend your cash on other bits instead, but up to you.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
faiur enuf thanx guys

i mainly go city drivin and hardly on the freeway.

what else can i do to get better wngine response ?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
response or acceleration?

for initial response you could go for new engine mounts, heavy duty clutch, and short throw shifter.
if you are looking for a little more acceleration (at the sacrifice of top speed and a little fuel economy), a new diff, or a more aggressive cam and tune could be in order.

or you could just supercharge it :).

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Lol - not sure about more kw & less torque. I fitted a YT lightened fly to my VP. Engine response was certainly better and the engine revved much cleaner and more freely throughout the range. The major downside was getting the car off the line. All in all I'd advise against one if drag racing is your thing. For circuit and track days they are great.

Reaper

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Lol - not sure about more kw & less torque. I fitted a YT lightened fly to my VP. Engine response was certainly better and the engine revved much cleaner and more freely throughout the range. The major downside was getting the car off the line. All in all I'd advise against one if drag racing is your thing. For circuit and track days they are great.

Reaper

ok so why are they hard to get off the line?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Harder because you have less inertia due to it being lighter.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
more kw's, less torque.

that makes zero sense at all.

i agree with reaper, for circuit and hills driving it would be great but getting off the line is a little harder. its fine once you get the hang of it though.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
umm.... i think there's some people confused on the benefits.

correct me if Im wrong, but a lighter flywheel has less weight to turn, correct?
so by comparison a standard flywheel is heaver, and therefore harder to turn.
but once its spinning a heavier flywheel will spin longer than a ligher one.

so in terms of acceleration, a lighter flywheel is better. less dead weight to turn = more acceleration = faster rise and fall of rpm
but in terms of being able to hold those revs once you get to the speed you want, a heavier flywheel is better due to inertia. more dead weight to turn = more inertia = more stable speed through rises and falls in the road = more constant rpm.

so as I said above, if you want slightly better response when accelerating, a lightened flywheel is good.
but if you drive a lot on hwy's or anywhere else where you have slopes in the road at speed, then the standard flywheel will be better because of improved economy and more stable revs (a lighter flywheel results in a faster drop in speed, so engine has to chase gears up and down to maintain a set speed).

Last edited: